This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Year: Junior

Major:  Management Information Systems

Hometown:  Happy Valley, PA

Relationship Status:  Single

HC: What made you decide to stay in your hometown for school?

TN: It’s kind of a funny story actually. So my parents both work full-time for PSU at University Park so, just like most townies, I receive the tuition discount. Growing up I did not want to go to Penn State at all because my Dad was a Virginia Tech Hokie, and I wanted to follow in his footsteps, naturally. So I got accepted into VA Tech, made my visit and was ready to make the decision to go there, until I talked with my best friend’s mom, Lisa Dimakopolous. She put it very simply for me, “Tanner Joe if you don’t take that discount and go to PSU, you aren’t smart enough to go to college.” After hearing that, I knew she was right. In the end, I couldn’t be happier that I decided to go school in Happy Valley. 

HC: What’s your favorite part about being a “townie”?

TN: I pretty much can go home whenever I want to see my family, and I especially love seeing my dog Amber. I also have a lot of friends from high school who also go here, so I feel it makes it pretty easy to make even more friends at PSU who aren’t from the area. 

HC: Where is the best food in State College?

TN: The ORIGINAL Waffle Shop for brunch (if you go to the one downtown, I’m so sorry you do that to yourself). And for dinner, The Greek!

HC: Which Penn State event do you look most forward to every year?

TN: THON, DUH!!!! 

HC: If you could return to one place that you’ve traveled, where would it be?

TN: This one is tough, but I would have to probably say Greece because of the food, the people and the B-E-A-utiful landscape. 

HC: What is one female fashion trend that you don’t understand?

TN: I don’t know a whole lot about female fashion, but I would have to say when girls wear very short-cut dresses when the weather is frigid. Don’t get frostbite, ladies!!!

HC: If you could choose one celebrity to be your future wife, who would it be and why?

TN: Probably Alicia Keys. Her voice is as beautiful as she is, plus I love to sing, even though I am less than stellar at it. 

HC: What is your biggest female pet peeve?

TN: When a girl is plugged into her phone when you are in each other’s presence. Put the phone away for a little while ladies, you can text me later. ;)

HC: Name the 3 most important qualities you look for in a girl.

TN: 1. She has to have a good head on her shoulders, smart and self-respecting.

2. She has to be a kind/caring person.

3. Eyes are my weakness, especially green eyes.

HC: What is one quote you choose to live by?

TN: “Follow your bliss, and the universe will open doors where there used to be only walls.” -Joseph Campbell

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.