Student Nurses’ Association of Pennsylvania (SNAP) Hershey President: Bethany Shields

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Year: Junior

Major: Nursing

Hometown: Vienna, Virginia

HC: So what exactly is SNAP, and why did you choose to get involved?

BS: SNAP is a club open to all nursing students. You have to earn a certain amount of points each semester by participating in events to remain an active member. As a freshman, I went to the first meeting, and they talked about all the things that they participated in like Homecoming, THON and volunteering opportunities. It sounded like something I wanted to get involved in, and the people in it were very welcoming.

HC: What made you want to be a nurse?

BS: In high school, I went on a mission trip with my church where we helped underprivileged children, and I realized that I wanted to spend the rest of my life helping people. I’ve always been interested in the medical field, and nursing is a very practical major in this day and age.

HC: What’s it like living in Hershey so far?

BS: It’s very different, but we have a good group of nursing students there who all get along and make the most of it. Having clinicals in the hospital is very interesting because Hershey Medical Center is very advanced and respected in the medical community.

HC: What do you miss most about living at Penn State?

BS: I miss everything about Penn State. Living out of a bag when I visit on the weekends isn’t fun.

HC: What’s the most challenging part about being president?

BS: The most challenging part is definitely trying to please everyone. Everyone has different opinions on things, and I have to try and make sure everyone is happy while also deciding what’s best for SNAP. Being available to communicate with everyone at all times is also very time-consuming,

HC: What would you tell someone thinking of joining SNAP?

BS: I would encourage any nursing student to join SNAP.  It provides so many great opportunities and allows you to get very involved with all the major activities at Penn State. SNAP also offers networking for future career opportunities. Most importantly, you get to meet a lot of people and make a lot of new friends; I’ve met some of my best friends in SNAP. 

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.