The Struggles of Having Naturally Curly Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

All my life, I’ve had to deal with the ups and downs of having naturally curly hair. As I’ve grown up, my curls have become a part of who I am, but there will still always be struggles that people with stick-straight hair will just never understand:

1. All the money spent on hair products.

Hair product is your best friend when you have curly hair. The problem is, the best stuff is also expensive. We all remember the days of trying to get by on sticky hair gel just to have our hair wind up crunchy, so we willingly break the bank for luscious locks. Just imagine how much more money straight-haired people have for clothes.

2. People always want to touch your hair.

Yes, I know my hair reminds you of pasta (no joke, I’ve been told this before), but you don’t need to pull my ringlets like they’re a slinky, because the curls will separate and I will be left with frizzy hair.

3. When people ask, “Why don’t you brush your hair?”

Curly hair doesn’t need to be brushed when it’s dry; the only time it can be brushed is when it’s wet. Otherwise, your hair will resemble your mother’s in the eighties.

4. And then when they ask, “Is your hair naturally like that?”

Nope, I pin-curl my hair every day and it takes several hours and magically still looks like this all the time!

5. You never know what it’s going to look like.

Some days the curls work with you (probably on the days you plan on staying in), and some days they don’t – it isn’t even worth questioning anymore. Just remember to always keep extra hair ties around and wish for the best.

6. You can never live anywhere humid… ever.

Humidity is curly hair’s worst enemy, and you better check the weather every day because if it’s humid, then it’s a messy bun kind of day, my friend.

7. Finding the perfect hairstylist.

More important than finding a soulmate is finding a stylist that understands curly hair, and losing them can be traumatic.

8. You can’t cuddle with someone without them eating your hair.

At least it smells nice from all the products!

9. When someone says, “You know, your hair would look so pretty straight.”

The most common of all the backhanded compliments, and the absolute worst one to tell someone with curly hair. We know straight hair would be nice sometimes, but do I have three hours to blow it out myself? No.

10. The shedding.

From the shower drain to your clothing, you shed more than a dog and people will constantly remind you of that.

Curly hair is a blessing and a curse. 

Hannah Bingham is a first-year student at Penn State University and staff writer for Her Campus at Penn State. Hannah is majoring in print journalism and is expected to graduate May of 2021. If you see her on campus she will most likely be holding Starbucks and planning her next outfit to post on her fashion Instagram which you can follow@pinkrosesbrowncurls or her personal @hannahh.bingham.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.