Reflections: Late Night Penn State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Coffee seethes through my veins, and I still cannot seem to keep my droopy eyes open.  The clock strikes midnight as I look around at the comfy chairs in the library that are either being abandoned or occupied by students who have decided to camp out for the night.  I glance back at my half written paper.  It’s not due until 11:00 tomorrow morning, I have time. Alright, let’s get out of here; I would rather camp out in my bed.

As I nestle my computer in my backpack, I cannot help but to chuckle.  I mean, how ridiculous this is, students staying in the library so late that they have to order Wings Over to keep their stomachs silent and minds awake.  Meanwhile others have just called it quits and decided to pass out in those fluffy red chairs for the night. You know, maybe she will wake up in two hours and finish her paper after a brief nap. Or maybe she just cannot stand being in the same room with her roommate for another night.  Maybe she got kicked out because her roommate’s boyfriend is in town. 

Whatever the case, in my physical loneliness, I did not feel so alone. This sense of empathy poured over my body like the skim milk I put into my black coffee. I finally got it.  That this is what I love about Penn State. In the most empty hours of the night, I feel anything but.  Everyone here is just trying to figure it out and make it through the week.  All just trying to figure out whom they want to be, where they want to go, and how to live life to the fullest. In my experience, at least, this has been the case.  It terrifies me to know that in just a years time I will not have the comfort of being able to guess strangers’ stories. So this is my ode to you, Penn State. 

We only have four years (…five would be pretty sweet, just saying) so savor the moment or just go home.  Join every club that peaks your interest and be nice to everyone you meet because we’re all in the same boat. Take risks and opportunities that arise and push yourself to your limit. Even if you do try something new and make a mistake, what’s the worst that could happen? 

You have been trying to fit in Lion Scouts and being on an R&R committee and all of a sudden you find yourself studying for an exam long past midnight in the library. You are in a state of panic because the coffee is just not working and you really cannot remember how to find rate laws for CHEM 112. There is a shuffling across the room and you notice a girl chuckling softly to herself. A sense of calmness counteracts the coffee and you know you are not alone.

This is exactly who WE ARE…

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.