Ph.D. Student & International Dancing Sensation Tonnam Balankura

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Tonnam Balankura, now a Chemical Engineering Ph.D. candidate at Penn State, graduated first in his class at Thammasat University – Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology in Thailand. This isn’t his first time to appear in print as he was dubbed “The Perfect Man” in a popular Thai publication, Lips Magazine, as their “celebutant.” He was featured in this article because he has managed not only to excel in academics, but on the dance floor as well.

Name: Tonnam Balankura

Year: 3rd-year Ph.D. Candidate

Major: Chemical Engineering

HC: What would you say is your biggest accomplishment pertaining to dance?

TB: I would probably say representing Thailand in the Dance @ Live World Cup finals in the hip-hop category. I finished in the top 12!

HC: Where and when did you learn to dance?

TB: I started about eight years ago, so when I was 16. The first time ever was learning from a K-pop (Korean pop) video on YouTube and a dance DVD I asked my mom to buy. From there, my friends and I went to a dance studio in Thailand called Dance Vit Me. My first class was street dance where the teacher taught me hip-hop, breaking and popping and locking. We then were asked to be a part of “The Project” where we took several intensive classes. From this group, we formed a crew who went on to win second place in our first year. After a couple years, I was invited to perform with The Zoo Thailand – an emerging crew started by the OG’s (Original Generation) of Thailand.

HC: Where have you traveled to for dance?

TB: In Asia, I have traveled to Singapore, Japan and Korea. In the U.S., cities include LA, Las Vegas, San Francisco, New York, Washington D.C., Central PA, Pittsburgh and Orlando.

HC: What are you doing with dance now that you are in America?

TB: Currently, I am the treasurer of RAM Squad, a hip-hop freestyle dance organization that welcomes people at all levels of dance. Also, I love traveling around the states to attend tons of workshops. The U.S., especially LA and New York, are some of the best places for dance. I also try to compete as much as I can – win or lose, it doesn’t matter.

HC: Who is your favorite dancer?

TB: Jaja Vankova is one of my favorites. She actually will be a judge for RAM Squad’s jam this year called Rhythm Spotlight! I also like Les Twins and Tight Eyez.

HC: What are your favorite styles of dance?

TB: Hip-hop, krumping and locking.

HC: What is your favorite food?

TB: Baked chicken from Giant and Café 210 West’s wings.

HC: What else do you like to do besides dance?

TB: I like to cook, hang out with friends, participate in THON activities and eat … a lot.

HC:  What do you plan to do with a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering?  

TB: I want to go through a postdoctoral training in America or Europe and perhaps, become a professor in the U.S. Ultimately, I want to return to Thailand to teach and improve the status of education in my home country.

HC: What is your relationship status?

TB: I am in a very happy relationship (sorry ladies, you will have to find your perfect Thai dancer elsewhere).

HC: What is your favorite part of Penn State?

TB: RAM Squad is like a family to me, a.k.a. “RAMily.” They are so welcoming to each and every individual and allow freedom of expression and style.

HC: Lastly, do you have any advice for new dancers?

TB: You have to get rid of the mentality that you are only a beginner. Thinking that you are just a beginner makes you feel too afraid to go all out and reach your full potential! Don’t be shy and always be willing to try new styles. Never let your fear get in the way of being an amazing dancer or any other thing you wish to be! And of course, come out to dance with RAM Squad! We would love to meet you.

If you would like to see Tonnam in action, check out the video below to see him represent Thailand in Japan’s Gatsby Dance Competition.

Sarah Kidder is a senior at Penn State's Schreyer Honors College with a major in Biobehavioral Health as well as minors in Biology, Spanish and Global Health. She intends to pursue a career in writing while also advocating for women's rights across the globe. This is her first semester as a writer for Her Campus! Whether it be slam poetry or another relatable listicle, Sarah is eager to be a part of the HC team. When she isn't writing, Sarah is dancing with her hip hop dance organization, Raw Aesthetic Movements, or riding horses as a member of the Penn State Equestrian Team. She also enjoys art, so you can always find her with her sketchbook in hand. Ultimately, Sarah dreams to write for a major publication about women's health and lifestyle.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.