#OurVoteCounts In Pennsylvania

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Today is #NationalVoterRegistrationDay. Today is the day to make your voice heard. 

A recent poll by the US Census Bureau shows that less than half of eligibile young adult voters will make it to the polls this November. 

Honestly, that statistic will be detrimental to the fate of this country. This is an election unlike any preceeding ones, and our voice matters now more than ever before. 

Here’s some important links and dates that will help you get registered to vote in Pennsylvania so you can make sure your voice is heard. 

Registration Application

The online voter registration form for Pennsylvania residents can be found here. The deadline to register to vote in Pennsylvania is Tuesday, October 11th. If you’re registering online, make sure you have either your Pennsylvania State ID or PennDOT ID available to reference. 

To register by mail, print out this form. You can use this form to register,  change your name, address, or political party. Mail the form to your county voter registraton office (address is listed on the form) by Tuesday, October 11th. 

Election Day 

The national voting day for the presidential election is Tuesday, November 8th. Pennsylvania polls will be open from 7 a.m. – 8 p.m. As long as you’re in line at your voting location by 8 p.m., you will be allowed to cast your vote. 

If you’re voting for the very first time at your desginated location, please bring one of the following forms of identification with you. 

1. Photo ID issued by a Pennsylvania agency or the United States government
  2. United States passport
  3. United States Armed Forces ID

If you’re voting through an absentee ballot, it must be received by Friday, November 4th. 

To find out how you can #OurVoteCounts in a different state, make sure to check out this website for all the information you need. 

Don’t Know Who To Vote For? 

If you’re unsure about who you want to pledge your allegiance to this November, do yourself a favor and brush up on the candidates! Read their platforms, watch their speeches and educate yourself. Your educated opinion is more valuable than any opinion that’s being shared on social media. Make sure your voice is yours. 

Republican Party presidential nominee Donald Trump’s political platform: here

Democratic Party presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s political platform: here. 

Libertarian Party presidential nominee Gary Johnson’s political platform: here.

Green Party presidential nominee Jill Stein’s political platform: here.

Today is the day to make your voice heard. 

Adrea is a senior at Penn State and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business, Women's Studies, and International Studies. She also served as a Chapter Advisor for 8 international chapters during her time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. In addition to Her Campus, Adrea is a senior reporter for Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and a contributing writer for Thought Catalog. She is the social media intern for Penn State's Office of Strategic Communications. In the rare time that she's doing something other than writing, she's probably Googling pictures of pugs or consuming an excessive amount of caffeine. Follow her on Twitter: @adreacope