Gina Haspel May Become the First Female Director of the CIA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Haspel is an American intelligence officer and the Deputy Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (DD/CIA), which makes her the second-highest official of the Central Intelligence Agency. She joined the CIA in 1985, where she first held undercover overseas positions and was often the Station Chief, according to the CIA.

Haspel has served in many CIA programs such as National Clandestine Service Leadership and received the George H. W. Bush Award for excellence in counterterrorism. However, despite her achievements she continues to receive criticism for her role in the Cat’s Eye program.  Cat’s Eye was a secret CIA prison in Thailand based on “enhanced interrogation techniques” such as waterboarding, which is considered by many as inhumane torture methods. It was after the September 11 attacks that the U.S. government opted for this program to “fight terrorism.”

On March 13, 2018, President Donald Trump announced Haspel’s nomination to be the CIA director. However, due to the torture controversy involving the CIA prison at Thailand, Republican Senators such as Rand Paul and John McCain have openly said that they would oppose Haspel’s nomination. According to CNN, the senators believe Haspel needs to explain the nature and extent of her involvement in the CIA’s interrogation program

If she is confirmed by the senate, Haspel would become the first female CIA director.

Sources: CNNThe Guardian

Broadcast journalist student at Penn State University 
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.