Forever Lions, Endless Pride

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As spirit week comes to a close, what better way is there to kick-start the 2011 Penn State Homecoming experience than with an amazing walk and concert to match?

Rise and shine! This year’s Inside the Park Homecoming Walk begins at 10 a.m. this Sunday at Medlar Field in Lubrano Park, home of the State College Spikes. The event will include a 2 mile walk around the field and will be followed by a Penn State family fun day, including various student performances, crafts, giveaways, face painting and more. So go grab your friends, your family, your cleaning lady and Mike the Mail Man because we want to see all of you there exercising your right to be proud.

Now that you’re stretched and ready to go, there’s only one next logical choice, the homecoming concert. That’s right, and for only $5. That’s the price of a magazine or at least a latte at Starbucks. Don’t get me wrong, we love those things too, but let it be your guide as to how worthwhile this opportunity is that the Student Programming Association at our lovely school has worked so hard to ensure for us. If you haven’t already gotten a ticket, they will still be sold at the door, but make sure to get there early.

With the talented performers of Gavin DeGraw, David Cook and special guest Carolina Liar, I don’t think $5 could be spent in a better way… unless you were using it to buy a pack of gum to cover up that garlic pasta you just devoured. Yes ladies, it’s happened to all of us. Nevertheless, the performance will be starting off with a dance competition to take place from 7-8:30 p.m. this Sunday in Recreation Hall, directly followed by the concert.

This week is also filled with traditions and events for not only the students, but the staff, alumni, and community. This week is about reflecting on our roots. WE ARE Penn State, and we want the whole world to be able to feel the pride we feel. This week is our time to celebrate what being a part of Penn State means to us, and to everyone involved.

Monday marks the start of the homecoming royalty voting, where two beautiful contenders of the court will be chosen to represent Penn State as king and queen and get to ride in pride at the parade Friday night. For all of you freshman out there who don’t quite grasp the significance of what homecoming means to you yet, you’re in the right place; East Halls baby, it never fails. And you’ll know that by about precisely 4 p.m., give or take a second. The annual East Halls Celebration will be happening right outside of Findlay commons in the quad, with music, activities and food galore.

Head down to the HUB- Robeson center on Tuesday for the Past to Present celebration, in which the entire building will be decorated from old school to new school in commemoration of how Penn State has grown throughout the years. Eisenhower Auditorium will also be hosting the For the Glory Talent Show at 6:30 p.m.  This is a great event because all your friends are up there on that stage. Numerous organizations have put in time and effort to round up the best of their abilities and showcase them for the entire community. These are our people, and in supporting our people, there is no better way to truly prove the pride and love that we have for our school.

The BOPS Field Day and Carnival will be brought to you on Wednesday located on the Old Main Lawn from 3-8 p.m. The field day includes a ton of games for registered organizations to participate in, as well as booths and other fun activities for everyone throughout the carnival. Not to mention, free food (always an incentive), along with raffles, blow up items of all sorts.

Thursday is the last day for everyone participating in the parade to get his or her final touches in order, with a parade inspection and float check later that evening.  Pomp your way to the finish line people, WE ARE coming home.

Friday is the last and final weekday leading up to Homecoming. At 1 p.m., take the time to visit the Student and Alumni Ice Cream Social located at the Hintz Alumni Center. This is a great opportunity for students and alumni to get to know each other, network, and naturally, have a good time. Afterward, you better start claiming your spot for the parade. Starting on campus and working their way through downtown State College, the homecoming parade and float competition is to begin at 6 p.m.

If you don’t participate in anything else related to homecoming, this is the one event out of the entire process that will not only grab your attention, but keep it. From the military to Boy Scout troops to endless organizations, everyone will be in attendance. The floats are arguably the best part of this entire event, as some will stun you with their brilliance. Friday is meant to build up to the big day and to get everyone pumped up. So let it. Following the parade will be the pep rally and royalty coronation at 9 p.m. in Recreation Hall. After the pep rally, the tradition to guard the lion shrine will also be talking place that evening and continuing all the way to Saturday.

Drum roll please…

GO STATE, BEAT PURDUE! The big day has arrived, and you better be ready. Tailgate competition judging begins at 9 a.m. sharp with the homecoming football game in Beaver Stadium starting at noon. WE ARE Penn State so we’re pretty sure that you know how to properly tailgate, but in case you forgot, if a 4-year-old girl is dressed up with more spirit than you, you’re not doing it right. Either way, get ready to experience the big game with more alumni, fellow students and fans than you’ve ever seen.

Collegiettes, this is what we call a homecoming.

Born and raised by two Nittany Lions, Rachel continued the tradition by attending Penn State University in the fall of 2009. Currently a senior journalism major, Rachel also spends her time minoring in both psychology and Spanish. During her sophomore year she wrote for the Greek newspaper at Penn State as a member of Alpha Xi Delta, followed by joining the Her Campus team as a writer and the Public Relations/Social Media Manager in the fall of her junior year. In search of mastering the Spanish language, Rachel indulged herself in the country of Spain for five months while she studied abroad in the city of Alicante during the spring of 2012. In order to keep her English up to par, Rachel blogged about her experiences for both her personal account and Her Campus at Penn State. With a love for shoes, smiles, and a good bowl of mac and cheese, this social media fiend never leaves her twitter by its lonesome. Follow Rachel @hayhayitsrayray as she pursues her dream as an aspiring magazine editor and world traveler.