Farewell to our Campus Correspondents, Rachel and Maddie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrities are none other than our very own Her Campus Correspondents, Rachel Lytle and Madeleine Brown. In light of their farewell, Her Campus Penn State is offering a chance for Her Campus to get to know the girls who keep our chapter up and rolling.

Name: Rachel Lytle

Major: Print Journalism

Minors: Psychology, Spanish, International Studies

Hometown: Leonardtown, Md.

HC: What was your best memory as a member of Her Campus?

Rachel: I think the best experience I ever had at Her Campus took place last year, when I approached Kelsey, the editor at the time, about an article idea that I eventually titled “Stride of Pride.”  I had this sudden inspiration one night and just took off writing and sent it to her in the morning to see what she thought.  All of the girls in charge loved the piece and it was published almost immediately.  To this day it’s still one of my favorite articles I’ve ever written. 

HC: What have you gained by being a member of Her Campus?

Rachel: Writing for HC is what made me realize what I’m meant to do, and hopefully some day that means writing for a magazine. It gave me the opportunity to become friends with girls who I can both work with and have fun socially. It also allowed me to really find confidence within myself that’s important for my career and learn how to be a leader to my peers.

HC: How has Her Campus helped you as a student academically and socially?

Rachel: HC gave me the writing experience and practice I was yearning for in my journalism classes that I wasn’t getting at the time. Too many of them focused on newspaper writing, and this allowed me to express my creative side and write about things I found exciting. Being a member of Her Campus was never work to me because I loved what I did and I got to meet people in the same boat as myself whom I know i’ll be in touch with later in our careers. 

HC: What are your future careers plans?

Rachel: My goal is to be the editor-in-chief of a major consumer magazine, but for now I’m just taking it one day at a time. If I can have a job that allows me to be creative and work on things I truly care about, I’d be a happy lady. 

HC: What will you miss about college and what’s your advice to the underclassmen?

Rachel: I know that out of all of the experiences during college i’ll miss the little things the most: waking up on Saturday mornings and laughing with my friends on my floor, the annoying walk to class when 10 minutes prior I was questioning whether to even get out of bed, and even the dining hall food. All of those things we take for granted, I’m going to miss. To the underclassmen, especially my freshman sister, live in the moment as much as possible. Work hard, but realize that this is the one time in your life you’ll be able live this lifestyle. Learn to manage your time and then let your friends persuade you to go out. Time will fly by before you know it, and one thing I wish I did was write a letter to my older self during my freshman year, pack it away, and then reread it on gradation day. It will be a surreal way to really see how much you’ve grown, and in turn love your experience even more. 

Name: Madeleine Brown

Year: Junior

Major: Public Relations

Hometown: Timonium, Md. 

HC: How did you begin writing for her Campus?

Maddie: I have always had an interest in entertainment journalism. Over the summer before my sophomore year, I found Her Campus and emailed Kelsey who was the CC at the time my application. I loved writing for Her Campus from the start. I became involved and loved the ability to choose what I am interested in and write about it.

Maddie: Academically, Her Campus has helped enhance my portfolio. It has enhanced my leadership skills along with allowing me to have some amazing experiences. My dream career is to work in the entertainment industry interviewing celebrities and Her Campus has allowed me to gain experience by interviewing Catelynn and Tyler from MTV’s show Teen Mom.

HC: Are you involved in any other clubs if so, which ones?

Maddie: I am on the executive board of my community service sorority, Gamma Sigma Sigma. I am also one of the Directors for Happy Valley Communications, Penn State’s student-run communications firm and will serve was Director of Membership next year for Penn State’s PRSSA.

HC: What will you miss the most about Her Campus?

Maddie: I will miss our staff who have such a strong interest and passion for journalism. I love our creative brainstorming sessions and look forward to seeing what our staff does in the future. I will miss the opportunities as well that Her Campus has given me, which have helped me pursue my dream career in the entertainment industry.

HC: Would you encourage other girls to read Her Campus?  If so, how come?

Maddie: I definitely encourage girls to read Her Campus. I think that each school brings their school pride into their journalism. Her Campus allows their writers to be creative and be themselves, so the variety of articles is great and so interesting to read. Plus, it’s all about girls, which is always fun to read!

Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.