Daymond John’s 5 Points on Being Successful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If you don’t know who Daymond John is at this point in your 20-something-year-old life… you should.

He’s the Founder and CEO of the fashion line FUBU (For Us By Us) and TV Personality on ABC’s Hit Reality-Business show Shark Tank Fridays at 9 pm.

Daymond came from nothing, and built a multi million-dollar fashion empire for the urban market right from his mom’s basement. President Obama has even said Daymond is one of the greatest entrepreneurs of all time. Not too shabby of a compliment, I’d say.

Daymond spoke in front of a full house Tuesday night at Penn State about his 5 simple, yet extremely effective Shark Points that everyone should follow on the road to being successful.

1: Set A Goal

You can’t hit a target that you cannot see. Always set a clear, positive goal that you will be highly motivated to achieve no matter what.

2: Homework – Do It

You HAVE to do your homework. Analyze and understand the market and where you’re going, this way you will always be one step ahead. Always remember, there are rarely new products, there are just new forms of delivery.

3: Amor: Love What You Do

Money is only a tool; it is a great slave, but a horrible master. To really enjoy life to the fullest, nothing means anything without love. If along the way you get lost or wrapped up in the wrong things, go back to the basics and start again. “Every person that is successful has one thing in common, they are doing what they love,” said Daymond.

4: Remember, You Are The Brand

Daymond learned on Shark Tank that we do not invest in companies, we invest in people. Always think to yourself: Are you in control of who you are? Can you put yourself or your brand into 2-5 words? It is more important now than ever before to have something that easily resonates. For example, Nike’s “Just Do It”. Also be aware of social media. What you put out there is permanent, it isn’t going anywhere.

5: Keep Swimming

The end of every race is the beginning of a new. If something doesn’t work out and you hit obstacles, don’t sweat it. There will always be something better that comes along. Sharks have to swim to stay alive; you just have to keep swimming and never give up.

If you or someone you know at Penn State has a million-dollar idea, The Nittany Consulting Group and the SPDC can help you by offering free business consulting in Kunkle Lounge every Tuesday and Thursday from 4-5 pm. You never know, you could be the next Daymond John!

Follow Daymond on Twitter @thesharkdaymond

Chellsy Costello is currently a senior at Penn State University majoring in Public Relations/Advertising and minoring in Recreation, Park, and Tourism Management. In her free time, she loves finding new artists to listen to, watching football, trying new recipes in the kitchen, and finding time to hit the gym. Her current and past experiences include Wenner Media, Press Here Publicity, The Nittany Lion Club, Varsity 'S' Club, Valley Magazine, and Happy Valley Communications. She hopes to land her dream job in New York City or another major city after graduation and someday hopes to travel as much as she can.
Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.