Crazy for Cal and Rez: Timeflies Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Sound waves from the blasting speakers prompted the crowd to jump higher and higher. “Let’s stay up until the sunrise!” was sung in unison at the top of our lungs. Timeflies not only made my Thanksgiving break so much better, but they also left me with a lasting experience.

Timeflies, a two-man band with roots from New York and New Jersey, create music that has no genre.  Their collaborative skills combine dubstep, electro, hip-hop, pop and some soul to create their unique sound. This duo consists of 23 year-old Cal (angelic voice and good looks) and 22-year old Rez (beat producer/mastermind). These two talented guys met back in Massachusetts at Tufts University where they both attended. Although they had separate bands, nothing stopped Cal and Rez from collaborating soon after Cal was getting “saucy” (totally crazy) at a party. Rez was amazed by Cal’s freestyling skills and knew he could make great beats to fit Cal’s fast paced and smooth style.

Their rise to fame started with the wonderful world of social media and YouTube. The team of two created a weekly segment called Timeflies Tuesday where Cal often freestyled. Timeflies became YouTube sensations after their video “Under The Sea” where they recreated the popular Little Mermaid song by adding a hint steel drums and witty raps.

Soon after, Cal and Rez hit their studio at home and created “The Scotch Tape” which quickly reached number eight on the iTunes Charts. After that release, the group quickly got touring and kept on producing amazing Timeflies Tuesdays like a cover of “Call Me Maybe” which received over two million hits. They have most currently put out mixtapes like “Under the Influence” and “One Night.”

Without a doubt, the Timeflies concert was the best concert I have ever been to. The amount of energy that was circulating the room was certainly uplifting. Cal really knew how to woo the ladies and made sure he held all of the girls’ hands just to make them fall in love. By the fifth song on their set list, my voice was already shot and my clothing drenched from jumping up and down. As the night came to a close, the audience chanted “one more song, one more song”, Timeflies then came back ten times stronger with another acoustic set. Check out Timeflies. I promise you will not regret it. 

Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.