7 Things College Women Should Stop Criticizing Each Other For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Though we all would like to think that graduating from high school and heading off to college means saying goodbye to the petty girl drama, I think most women would agree that the impulse to judge others does not disappear the moment we graduate. It’s a sad fact that gossip and harsh opinions come almost as easy as compliments and encouragement do. Maybe it’s the pressure to fit in or the stress of making new friends but, no matter what the reasoning, the constant criticism is something we would all be better off without. 

1. Having an “easy” major – We all know that choosing our majors was no easy process and yet, it was a decision we all made that has the potential to affect the rest of our lives. No matter how unsure we were at first, there was some hidden interest or passion behind the one we chose that becomes a part of our identity. We’re told since birth to follow our dreams and do something we love but making sure we pick the hardest one is never part of the process – so why do we treat each other like it is? Though I’m fully aware that a pre-med student or a chemical engineer may spend far more sleepless nights at the library than some other majors, I don’t believe it’s a valid reason to diminish anyone’s importance. Every major is different and requires different kinds of effort. Whether it’s finals weeks, a ten-page paper or a senior thesis, we’re all going to get our butts kicked sooner or later. What we should be doing is supporting each other when that moment arrives instead of always acting like we have it worse. 

2. Flaunting what you’ve got – Considering the fact that there are many girls who take it a little too far, I’ll admit this one can be a bit of a slippery slope. Nevertheless, if college women want to show a little skin every now and then, whether they’re a size 0 or a size 10, they shouldn’t be criticized for it. We’re constantly being told by older women that these are the golden years and that soon enough, our bodies will all be heading downhill – and, in most respects, they’re right. Growing old is a part of life, and the aging process is bound to take a toll on our physiques at some point, which is why we need to make the best of what we have now. Though there is a fine line between exuding confidence and revealing far too much, women should be complimenting each others natural-born assets – not judging them. 

3. Re-wearing an outfit – As the girl who will buy the exact same shirt in three different colors if it looks good, I find it crazy that some girls feel embarrassed to re-wear their favorite outfits. I can understand wanting a little variety or not wanting people to notice that you’re wearing the exact same thing last time you saw them, but, in the grand scheme of things, clothes are meant to be re-worn. If they weren’t, there would be no point in keeping them. With the endless frustration of finding clothes that fit your unique body type, when you do find something that works, you should feel more than confident wearing it more than once. Besides, with a lack of time to go shopping and a college budget on our hands, we should all be understanding of the struggle that ensues every time we open our closets. 

4. Hooking up with “their” boy – I have no doubt that every girl reading this article has been guilty of this one at some point in their lives. No matter who she is or where she came from, we will always have the tendency to blame the other woman as soon as we find out our significant other has been unfaithful. The fact that we become so enraged with jealousy the second we find out tends to cloud our judgment about who the real culprit is. As much as we’d like to think that she threw herself at him and our man was simply a victim of her aggressive sexuality, this is almost never the case. He was there, he knew it was happening and he simply wasn’t man enough to say no. If we all handled the situation a little more like John Tucker and a little less like Mean Girls, we’d learn that the nasty cat fights just aren’t worth the time. 

5. Going for seconds– As something that is necessary for human survival, it’s pretty hard to believe that girls have managed to find something wrong with eating. We all accept the standard three meals a day, but dare to go past the so-called acceptable portions or recommended calorie intake, and you’ll find an unnecessary amount of judgment and ridicule. Food is fuel and it’s a simple fact of life that some people may need more than others. We all know that healthy eating is the goal but starving ourselves should never be a part of it. Eat till you’re full and never be ashamed to lick your plate clean – no matter how much your friends may have left on theirs.    

6. Choosing their own path – Though we’re all taught this long beforehand, college is one of the first times we face the horror of making our own decisions. From the classes we take to the friends we make, choosing our own path can be a scary and complicated process, but it’s something we have to figure out on our own – without the input of others. Sure it’s easy to try to live the life of the typical college student but, ultimately, you should be in control. If you want to trail off the beaten path, you should feel no shame in doing it. Doing what makes you happy should always be a woman’s top priority. Period.

7. Spending the night in – I’m not exactly sure if this applies to all colleges, but I know spending a Friday night in is frowned upon pretty harshly by a wide majority of the female population at Penn State. It’s true that we are one of the top party schools in the country and the nightlife is pretty incredible, but it’s also true that there are plenty of girls who choose not to take part in it. Believe it or not, there are people who go here for reasons other than getting wasted every weekend, and they shouldn’t be ridiculed because of it. Although I personally love the weekends and think a night out in State College is something every Penn State student must try, I fully respect the ones who don’t feel it is for them. 

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.