5 Things You Will Find in Every Sorority Girl’s Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Whether you can personally identify or not, these 5 wardrobe staples can be used to peg almost any sorority girl you see crossing Fraternity Row. 

1. Cat Ears: You never know when you are going to have to whip out your cat ears and represent the most basic costume that everyone knows and loves. They may be cheetah print, black, or tiger print (all of which I have in my closet right now), or anything in between. They will come in handy for any weeklong, Halloween costume or when you really just want to feel cheetahlicious.

2. Uggs: Ugh! Yes, they’re extremely ugly but perfect for when you are walking back and forth between East and Pollock or when you are going to chapter on a cold Sunday night. They keep your feet extremely warm and are easily paired with every girl’s staple black leggings.

3. Parka: This is what my cousin calls my “sorority jacket.” When I told him I was going to Penn State, he ensured me that I needed to obtain a “sorority jacket.” Almost every single girl that is in a sorority, or even those who aren’t, has this fashionable down coat in either black or grey (or both, of course) complete with the cozy fur-lined hood.

4. That one pair of super uncomfortable heels: These are awful. Some girls don’t wear heels (more power to you), but for those of us that do, we all have that one pair that stare at us from the back of the closet. Mine are 7-inch, sparkly, black, skinny-heeled shoes that only come out for formal (to which they come off in a matter of minutes) or Halloween, when they would add the perfect addition to that last-minute costume.

5. Anything covered in glitter: We love glitter. We love sequins. Skirts, shirts, hats, dresses… anything. You name it, we probably have it covered in glitter. 

Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English. 
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.