18 Things Only Obsessive Coffee Drinkers Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Okay, okay, so we know National Coffee Day ended yesterday, but let’s be real – if you’re a true coffee enthusiast, you don’t need a day to celebrate your addiction.

Here are 18 things only the most caffeinated people will understand.

1. You feel like you should automatically be able to cut the line at Starbucks because being under caffeinated is practically a medical emergency.

2. The unavoidable annoyance you feel when people claim they, “love coffee,” and then dump pounds of sugar on their caramel macchiato with extra caramel.

3. The world shattering disappointment you feel when you get out of bed and you’re out of K-cups.

4. The question, “Starbucks or Dunkin’?” will forever determine who you will be friends with and who you could bear to live without.

5. People marvel at your superhuman ability to guzzle down two venti lattes with 3 shots of espresso and still function like a normal human.

6. …as well as your talent of drinking a cup of coffee right before bed.

7. You genuinely feel threatened when you see your barista referring to other customers by name when you’re in the vicinity.

8. You have a countdown to red cup season at Starbucks.

9. You have spent hours contemplating whether a Keurig or a Nespresso would be a better investment.

10.  When you’re hungry, you usually just drink coffee.

11.  The new Starbucks commercials are basically works of art.

12.  In high school, the only superlative you were worried about getting was, “Biggest Coffee Addict.”

13.  You almost fought the one other girl that was in the running (Shout out to Bailey Steinberg).

14.  You carried around your coffee tumblr like a badge of honor.

15.  Screw clothes shopping – mug shopping is what all the cool kids are doing.

16.  You know that Taylor Swift’s “Begin Again” music video is just a psychic prediction of how you and your husband are going to fall in love.

17.  You and your mother’s relationship is essentially built around your mutual love of coffee.

18.  Your significant other will always be intimidated by your intimate connection with your favorite blend.

Photo credit: 1

Paige Herer

U Mass Amherst

Paige Herer is a junior at Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and political science with a minor in international studies with hopes of pursuing a a career in PR after graduation. Her business aspirations include but are not limited to becoming Olivia Pope. She has a passion for reading, drinking coffee, long car rides, and scrolling through online blogs for hours. When Paige isn't being ridiculously productive you can find her walking aimlessly around campus trying to figure out how to operate her DSLR camera, or in her tiny dorm room marathoning any and every John Hughes movie.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.