12 Reasons Why You Love Your Best Friends From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

So, you’re in college. You make new friends and make new memories. But you’ll also never forget about the old. Your home friends are your backbone. They knew you in the most awkward times of your life and still stuck around because they love you that much. They’ve seen you in your weirdest moments and have helped you through your high school drama. They were there for you when you needed someone to go with you to get a burrito from Chipotle or to sing Justin Bieber with at the top of your lungs. Here are just a few of the many reasons why you love your best friends from home: 

1. They were always only 5 minutes away when you needed them. It might’ve been for a major crisis involving your newest boy toy or a quick trip to Starbucks for the passion tea you’ve been craving all day. Either way, they were only a phone call away and, before you knew it, they were in their car on the way over.

2. The inside jokes from middle school were a constant reminder as to why you’re best friends. Years later, you can still laugh about the strange things you did as a young teen and how you actually thought your life was the most interesting thing ever. In reality, you were just a boring, awkward middle school student.

3. You can act weird together and not feel ashamed. You both know the bizarre things each other does, but you’re used to it, and it’s completely normal.

4. Now that you’re in college, it’s the best time to gossip about the current high school drama with your BFFs.  Remember that girl we hated in the grade below us?  Guess what she did?  Or you can stalk the twitter feed together wondering who the seniors are tweeting about. Or you can just hate the underclassmen all over again together, almost as much as you did when you were actually in high school.

5. You can talk about how much you miss home and how you took your life there totally for granted. Who better to talk about your homesickness with other than your best friends from your hometown? You all feel the same way, I’m sure. So give them a call and sob over how you miss having a Dunkin’ Donuts right around the corner, the best sandwich shop around, or constantly driving and doing absolutely nothing but still having the time of your lives.

6. Commenting on each other’s Facebook pictures from years ago is typical because you’re the only ones who really knew each other back during the awkward stages. You stuck with each other through the brace face stage and the peace sign, duck face #selfie stage. Now, that’s what I call a true friendship.

7. The road trips after you all got your licenses were the ultimate getaway.  If it was a ten-minute ride to the mall or a solid trip to the beach, you were all ready to jam out to the newest Taylor Swift song on the radio. You all sang your heart out, windows down and played air guitar in the backseat.

8. You could eat whatever and whenever you wanted without them judging you. You had multiple refrigerators instead of just one, and it wasn’t a problem when you took their food without asking because hey, that’s what friends are for. 

9. You always had that someone to take the ugliest selfies with. Instead of deleting the picture because you didn’t look good enough, you deleted it because you needed to look worse. Either the chins weren’t on point or the eye-twitch was a bit off.

10. The awkward silence was never a problem, it actually brought you closer. If you ran out of things to talk about, you and your best friends could sit there for hours doing nothing and it was honestly quite the bonding experience.

11. Every time you go back home, you know you’ll always have someone to look forward to seeing. You can take your reunited Instagram pic, jump up and down and hug each other until you can’t feel your arms anymore. You can fill each other in on all your crazy college stories and laugh non-stop for hours.

12. Because in the end, no matter what happens or how far away you are, they’ll always be your best friends forever.

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.