10 Things They Didn’t Tell You Before Your Freshman Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

You’ve heard the typical, “It’ll be the best 4 years of your life!” line a million and one times.  You’ve heard crazy stories from your older siblings about college life and how it’s 100 times better than high school.  You’ve also probably heard that you’ll meet your best friends in college.  It’s not like all that isn’t true, but your freshman year is a period of adjustment that’ll take time to get used to.  Unfortunately, you don’t realize this until you’re actually here. 

All summer you go with your mom or dad to Staples, Walmart and Target gradually stocking up on dorm room essentials.  You’re super excited to meet up your roommate the first day and set up your dorm room exactly like the pins on your Pinterest board.  You pack the car and you’re off… off to a land of the strange and unfamiliar.  It starts to hit you that you’re going to have to live alone.  ALONE –without your parents, without your best friends, without your dog.  But the worst part is you won’t comprehend the fact that you’re really on your own until you wave goodbye to your family after you’ve unpacked and you’re sitting in your bed wondering what to do next.   Here’s the truth about your freshman year of college:

1. It’ll take time to meet new people.

You truly can’t expect to meet people instantly and become BFFs for the next four years.  It just doesn’t happen.  You may know people from home who are also attending the same college as you, which will definitely be helpful, but the rest are just unfamiliar faces, each one with a different story.  Don’t judge anyone, talk to people and see what they’re like.  You might find someone and click, but it’s going to take time to really be comfortable in front of new people, so take things slow.  You’ll find your niche eventually.

2. Get involved.

Well, this might be a typical thing your parents would tell you, but it’s nothing but the truth.  You will be BORED if you don’t.  So go out, find something you’re interested in and join it.  Whether it is a sorority, fraternity, service organization or a club sports team, there are SO MANY different options out there.  Plus, it’s a great way to meet new people and discover what you’re truly passionate about.

3. You will 110% be homesick at some point.

I’ve learned that this is completely normal during your freshman year of college – it’s a huge transition period.  You’re leaving one chapter of your life and moving into a totally new environment.  It’ll take lots of time to become accustomed to everything and don’t be ashamed to call your parents every day.  They will help you through it and eventually, you’ll be calling college your second home.

4. It’s okay to cry.

With homesickness, come tears.  There is no avoiding it and crying is a perfectly normal occurrence.  You’ve grown up with the same family and probably the same friends your entire life and now you’re separated from them by a long car drive or plane ride and it’s an awful feeling.  You’ll be talking on the phone or video chatting and, all of a sudden, waterworks.  But don’t worry, it happens to everyone.

5. You actually have to study.

I’m sorry about this one, but it’s true.  College is A LOT harder than high school.  There’s a ton more work, but you also have a ton more time to do it.  So don’t sit on Netflix all day, take out your textbook and get to those readings.  You’ll feel so much better if you can get ahead on your work because, when exam time comes, say goodbye to your social life.  Grades matter.

6. The food is horrible.

You will miss coming home from school to a cabinet and refrigerator full of amazing snacks and leftovers of your mom’s homemade dinner from the night before.  Dining hall food is worse than your middle school cafeteria.  But hey, it’s college.  You can’t expect it to be like a five star restaurant.  Just find some things that will suit your appetite and carry on.  It’s just a meal.  You’ll live.

7. You’ll realize you took your parents for granted.

They were there for you from the first day of kindergarten until your graduation day.  They’ve held your hand every step of the way until it was time to let go when they had to leave you on move-in day.  Appreciate every single thing they do for you.  Your parents are your number one fans and will support you through everything.  The small things they do matter the most and you will absolutely miss them your freshman year.

8. Be yourself.

You might have to change your daily routine or the way you do things, but don’t change who you are. You might be tempted to not act like yourself in front of new people or you might feel as though you have to be more reserved, but don’t. People will like you for who you are. If they don’t? Who cares! You’re not here for everyone to like, you’re here to be YOU.

9. The way you look will most likely change for the better or for the worse.

For some people, the freshman 15 is real. Heavy-drinking and late-night munchies every weekend will do it. So just be aware of your body and what you’re putting into it. If you control your eating habits and work out regularly, you won’t have to worry about this overly-analyzed conspiracy known as the dreaded “freshman 15.”

10. Don’t think you have to know exactly what you want to do with your life the day you move in.

Most colleges don’t make you declare a major until the end of your sophomore year. You have the ability to take a bunch of different classes and the opportunity to join so many organizations that will help you decide what you like best. Focus on getting adjusted your freshman year, and don’t let majors stress you out just yet. It’s not worth it to get hung up on what you want to do later on in life the first semester. You’re most likely only 18 – how do they expect you to know what your career interests are just yet? It’s truly impossible. Most people end up changing what their major is anyway.

Take your freshman year step-by-step. It might not come as easy to some as it will to others. For those of you that haven’t ever been away from home for an extended period of time, it will be difficult. But trust me, you will find the right people and your place eventually. Be patient and take advantage of all the opportunities available to you because college is full of them. Call your parents every day because they will be your best friends and support system during your freshman year. Seniors would give anything to go back to their freshman year. From tears to laughs, you’ll miss every second of it when you’re off to the real world after graduation. So take advantage of your freshman year – having fun and working hard.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.