This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Nudes are something many people have experience in, however, something that no one confesses that they have said experience in.

For those who are a little more innocent or who would like to pretend that they do not know what nudes are, nudes are pictures taken and/or sent from one’s phone of themselves naked. Although this seems like something that is not done often, it is actually something that is a lot more common than many would think.

Snapchat was invented in 2011, when three frat boys from Stanford University thought up the idea of being able to send girls things that would be automatically. They went on brainstorming and thought it would be even better if they were able to send pictures so that girls would be more likely to send nudes. Not only did their app become one of the biggest modes of social media just 6 years later, but it is also one of the main reasons why the percentage of teens who send nudes has increased from a 20% to a almost 50%.

So if so many people send them why are they so bad?

They aren’t.

Although some statistics, mostly those that are targeted towards younger teens, state that almost all women who take them are pressured to take them, it has actually been recorded that many women actually feel very empowered and sexy when taking them. Whether, they take them in lingerie, underclothes or completely naked, these pictures can really increase one’s self-esteem. Believe it or not, the discomforts they feel usually are actually caused by other women. Slut shaming is something that is a very real in our society. When a guy is very sexually active, he is thought of as “cool” but when a girl is she’s a slut. Women are constantly told to do what they want and what makes them feel empowered, and if means taking some sexy pictures, DO IT.

Even so, I think there are some things you should think about before sending them though:

1. Be 18

If you are under 18 and you take nudes, you can actually be charged with child pornography. Just don’t do it.

2. Be Cautious

When you send something into the world, it is going to be permanently out there. REALLY think about things before you do it. Even if you are sending it to one person, it could still get sent out.

3. Be comfortable

This isn’t something everyone does so do not feel pressured to do it. If you want to and you feel comfortable doing it, go for it but never do it simply because someone says to, especially a boyfriend or significant other.

Don’t let others shame you for something you want to do, but also keep in mind that all actions have consequences.

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.