This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Somewhere in northern Italy 1983, a romantic forbidden love story takes place.

Begging with the novel by Andre Aciman the love between Oliver and Elio began to blossom, through each turn of the page and each new scene in the adapted screenplay. In a time period that was not so open-minded as today’s world their love was hidden and short, but no less passionate.

The movie replicates the book very well, except for the ending which they shortened the time period of the end in order to be able to extend it into a second movie. The story follows a young high school age boy and an international student in college. The story is driven along by the young boy Elio, who is struggling with the feelings he is having with this new boy that is living with him for his study abroad program. The young boy Elio is very inexperienced and seeks companionship and experience from the older boy Oliver. After Oliver ignores Elio’s pursuit for a while, he gives in and they share a wonderful relationship that was filled with sparks and love. However, because of the time period and societal norms of the decade, their love is short and when the study abroad program is over the two must part.

Elio’s family picks up on the connection between the two young lovers. The parents console him and tell him to do what his heart wants and consul him after his heart breaks when Oliver leaves.  

The movie, like I said above, seems to follow the book’s lines to almost a perfect tee, till they decide to bring the movie till the end. The end the movie almost abruptly ends with Oliver moving back to America then the next scene Elio’s family getting a phone call from Oliver announcing his engagement to an American woman. This is quickly followed by a breakdown scene of Elio crying while looking into the fireplace then the movie ends. This was a creative approach from the director in order to leave the ending open to the possibility to make a second movie, which is already in production.

Timothee Chalamet (Elio) gave an amazing performance to the final scene where he looks to the side of the camera with the most despair on his face, making everyone viewing heartbreak and need to know what happens after. The credit role as we still see the tears coming from his eyes, leaving us with the shattering image us begging for another scene, another movie that will mend this fragile boys heart. This scene awarding Chalamet many nominations including an Oscar nomination.  In the novel the ending drags on for years in the future after marriages and an awkward reunion, that will most likely be covered in the sequel.

Both main actors gave a very convincing portrayal of their roles of Elio and Oliver. They portray the love between the two with passion, and a trail of teaching and discovering. The Novel turned into an independent screenplay making it later to major movie theaters and homes of many people. It touched peoples hearts with a modern day forbidden love.

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5

Tiffany Zinn

PS Behrend

Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.