neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tayler’s Tips for Nursing School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Tayler Davis

Year: Junior

Major: Nursing

Why did you decide you wanted to become a nurse?

I have wanted to be a nurse since I was seven years old. I have a few aunts who are nurses and their jobs always interested me. I especially like that nurses get to know the patients best. Healthcare is a hollistic practice. It’s so much more than writing prescriptions. Nurses learn how to help people heal physically, mentally, and spiritually. 

What made you choose to come to UP?

I considered attending EOU or WOU. They both seemed like cost effective options. But the these schools don’t have direct admittance into their Nursing Schools like UP does. This means it can be really difficult for students to progress to the Nursing School since there are so few spots. I had always dreamed of coming to UP and I came to love our Nursing School’s curriculum. 

What makes UP’s Nursing School so special?

Our professors are aimed at preparing competent nurses. UP is good at graduating nurses who then successfully adjust into hospitals as very competent healthcare officials. UP’s Nursing School is pretty rigorous but I think that’s a great thing. It prepares us to handle the stress and uncertainty that comes with being a nurse. Our Nursing School is very well respected so there’s a certain level of job security, which is really nice. 

What tips do you have for underclassmen trying to get into the Nursing School?

Keep your science GPA up! Also don’t stress too much about what order you take your prerequisite classes in. Keep your eyes on the prize: those purple scrubs. And when you get them wear them like the badge of honor they are. 

How do you deal with the negative stigmas around nursing?

At UP we’re taught how to engage and challenge the myths and stigmas about nurses. Nurses are the people that patients trust most, they are extremely knowledgeable, and they need to know everything in order to advocate for their patients and communicate to other nurses and doctors. I wish people would realize that all of these things are what make nurses so great. 

What if people have more questions?

Feel free to send me an email!

Kelsie is from Klamath Falls, Oregon. She is a sophomore pursuing a Political Science and Spanish Double Major at the University of Portland. She has five brothers and two sisters. Her hobbies include hiking, watching movies, and telling bad jokes.