Senior Spotlight: Meet Carissa Luebbering ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Carissa Luebbering

Hometown: Tucson, Arizona

Major: Communication Studies and German Studies

3 words to describe yourself: Passionate, Faith-filled, Brave

What’s it like being an RA?

Being an RA is an exciting opportunity to be a part of people’s lives and to walk with them on their journeys. I enjoy engaging with my residents, watching them flourish and open up into the best versions of themselves. Being an RA takes a lot of responsibility, but it also brings great joy. It’s not an easy job, but its very fulfilling.

Where is your favorite place on campus?

One of my favorite places on campus is my room. It’s bright, colorful, peaceful, and relaxing. I often watch the sunrise from my window; I can see Mt. Hood when it’s out, all the way downtown past the Fremont Bridge, Friday night soccer games, and boats passing by on the Willamette. People come to visit me in my room and settle right into one of my comfy chairs. I can look around with joy at all my photographs of family, friends, and places I’ve traveled to. My room also has a Zen desk where I can easily paint and take a break from working.

You’ve studied abroad, what did you love most about it? What have you learned from that experience?

I loved exploring new places and cultures. I traveled to places I’d always dreamed of visiting. I enjoyed living in Austria because it is one of the most beautiful countries in Europe and it is so easy to travel to other places from there. I personally grew tremendously. When you’re in a foreign country, you are out of your element. If you don’t know the language, you have to find new ways of communicating. I had an entire conversation with a woman in Budapest without having any common language or knowledge of her home country. I learned how to engage with people and ask questions. I learned a lot about how to travel; there is a lot more to it than it sounds. Choosing a hostel is not as one-dimensional as it seems. I explored that corner of the world, making the most of the opportunity I had, and enjoying every moment of it.

What has been the most inspiring class you have taken?

One of the most inspiring classes I’ve taken was Persuasion and Leadership, a Communication Studies class. It was the first comm. class I took and launched my interest in and pursuit of a Communication degree. It challenged me to view the world more intentionally. I can now look at interactions between people or messages in films with a critical lens, aware of social factors and implications. That class was the framework with which I now use to think and wonder about the world. It was also the beginning of my ponderings of social justice in my classes.

What will you miss the most about college?

I will miss being surrounded by young passionate minds and hearts. College is a time when anything its possible to change the world. I love sharing ideas and learning from my peers. I love engaging with all of my interests and developing into my well-rounded self. 

If you could give advice to your freshman self, what would the advice be?

Don’t date freshman year. College is the one time in your life that is dedicated to discovering who you are. It’s difficult to truly understand yourself when you’re too busy focusing on another person. Being single = being yourself.

What are your plans after college?

I am applying for a Fulbright Grant to teach English in Germany, as well as post-grad service abroad. My plans are still developing, though no matter what, I hope to continue growing and discovering who I am. Ultimately, my life plans include making a positive difference in the world. That can happen in many ways and I am still discerning which way is the best for me.