Preparing for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

There’s less than a month left of the semester and these final exams will make a big impact on your GPA! It’s time to settle down and take these exams seriously! Here are some tips to follow to ensure success:

Set up a study schedule!

Don’t study a day before the exam! Study at least a week in advance before the test. Studies show that long term learning and understanding works better than cramming. Grab a calendar and schedule, schedule, schedule!

Have a study spot!

Go to the library or find a quiet area to study. Do not study in your room or somewhere with distractions. Studies show that studying on your bed is ineffective because you’re bound to sleep there.

Be texbook savvy!

When reading a textbook, highlight the key points! These are the most important key ideas that will most likely be in the exam. Create questions that are likely to be on the exam as well as make flash cards.

Practice tests!

Usually, teachers post past exams at the library or on their course website. Print those out and use them to your advantage! These are helpful to get rid of test anxiety. It allows time for you to understand what type of questions that will be asked on the exam.

Take breaks!

The Pomodoro technique works! Study for 25 minutes and take 5 minute breaks. After four intervals of 25 minutes studying, take a 15-30 minute break. This technique enhances learning capability.