Outfit of the Day Inspiration: 03/05/2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

MONDAY – Colored Denim

Don’t you hate when you’re in a fashion rut? Or worse, wake up late with that “I have nothing to wear!” moment? Even when you’re not pressed for time, it can be difficult to feel inspired enough to look cute and fashion-forward every day. That is why you need look no further than the tri-weekly Outfit of the Day Inspiration! The aim is to showcase items you likely already have in your closet, so you can just throw them together and get out the door. This first look is perfect for a Monday: bright and cheerful yet comfy at the same time!

Outfit #1: Model-off-duty chic
Skinny pants, combat boots, and leather jackets are practically the uniform of models-off-duty…that is, when they’re not strutting their stuff on a high-fashion runway. Take a new spin on the usual all-black ensemble with rich colored skinny jeans, preferably a deep burgundy or wine shade. By keeping the rest of the outfit rooted with dark neutrals such as a grey military jacket and black scarf and boots, the pants are sophisticated rather than juvenile. A black bag adds to the downtown vibe, and a subtle touch of turquoise in your accessories, like a ring, lends a bit of interest.

[pagebreak]

Outfit #2: Casual and fun
Yes, you are totally allowed to mix colors with bright denim! Using complimentary colors is a good guide, such as red and navy or yellow and blue (as seen here). The goal is to look cheerful and unique rather than a color-overload disaster. The model in this example tastefully matches pastel yellow pants to a slightly darker yellow hat for cohesiveness. The green and blue jacket is unexpected but it works to add a pattern to the look. Black boots or even casual sneakers keep things grounded, and a pale sweater underneath adds warmth.

[pagebreak]

Outfit #3: Field Experience Fashion
Do you have an internship or office job off-campus?  Perhaps you are an education major who must do field experience in a local grade or high school.  When it comes to dressing in a work environment, the first rule of course is to look professional and classy.  However, this should not make you feel relegated to boring Mary Janes and dumpy dress pants.  Here is a terrific example of how to dress  appropriately and still pack a major fashion punch.  For this look, skinny pants in a salmon or mint color would work best for optimum sophistication, paired with a modest white blouse and cream blazer in a unique cut.  Add a skinny black belt and black flats to cleanly finish the outfit.  Note: opt for a more natural make-up look than this for any work environment!

Source:
 http://fuckyeahmodelsoffduty.tumblr.com/

Sarah Smith is a junior at the University of Michigan, Class of 2012, majoring in Communication Studies and Political Science. She is the Editor-in-Chief of The Forum, Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, and the secretary of Michigan's chapter of Ed2010. Sarah is also an active member of Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, and she currently serves Michigan's Panhellenic Association as the Vice President of Public Relations.  A native of Sterling Heights, MI, she has been a Michigan fan since birth and loves spending Saturday mornings cheering on her Wolverines. Some of her favorite things include The Office, Audrey Hepburn, women's magazines, and microwave popcorn - preferably with lots of butter and salt!