How to Celebrate Fall with Your Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Fall is the best time of the year. Try and prove me wrong. Bugs have returned to their hiding spots, coffee flavor options are endless, and I can comfortably wear as many sweaters as I please. But my favorite part about the holiday season is spending it with family. If you’re like me and you can’t visit your family as often as you’d like then you’ll have to learn how to make do. And who better to make do with than your roommates? So here are some fun ways that you can celebrate fall together.

1. Carve Pumpkins Together

See who can carve the best pumpkin. Just make sure that you don’t have rotting pumpkins on your door step in mid November. 

2. Make Thanksgiving Dinner Together

Cooking a traditional Thanksgiving dinner can be really stressful. With the help of your roommates you might learn how to cook a new dish. When in doubt, go buy a rotisserie chicken. Because I aint messing with cooking a turkey. 

3. Watch Fall Movies Together

Watch something spooky or something nostalgic. 

4. Dress up for Halloween Together

Group costumes are great! Plus it’ll make for an awesome Instagram pic. 

5. Give your Dorm/House a Nickname 

When your dorm/house has a nickname and when other people know that nickname and actually use then you’ll know you’ve really made it. Picking out a nickname for your house is like step one in throwing a house party. So get ready for your Halloween party by picking out a name now!

6. Decorate your Dorm/House Together

Visit the dollar store and decorate on a budget. Your space will look so festive and you’ll feel like an accomplished adult for taking the time to decorate. 

7. Prank Each Other

This can happen at any time of the year but what time of the year is spookier?

8. Throw a Party

A great way to bond and to get to know each other’s friends is by throwing a party! And with Halloween right around the corner now is the perfect time to prepare. 

9. Go Thrift Shopping Together

With each new season comes new clothes. Go grab some comfy new sweaters from your local thrift shop and play personal shopper for your roommates. Hey, the more stuff they get the more stuff you can borrow. 

10.  Take “Family” Pictures Together

Recreate those awkward family photos and send the pictures to your actual family. They’ll get a kick out of it. 

Kelsie is from Klamath Falls, Oregon. She is a sophomore pursuing a Political Science and Spanish Double Major at the University of Portland. She has five brothers and two sisters. Her hobbies include hiking, watching movies, and telling bad jokes.