Campus Celebrity Alumni Edition: Lynn Le

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Her Campus caught up with University of Portland alumna Lynn Le to learn more about life after leaving the Bluff.  Since graduating one year ago, Lynn has developed her career at a marketing and media agency in downtown Portland, launched a new business, begun working on her first short film, and more. So how does this hardworking business woman balance it all? Her Campus had an exclusive interview with Lynn to find out:

So Lynn, what did you study at UP?
Global Business and French Studies (double major).

Who was your favorite professor and what class has been most applicable to real life?
Peter Rachor and E-Scholars.

Favorite UP memory?
Sitting in the Commons for hours and having fun with friends, slacking on going to the library or the Franz computer lab to get work done.

How has life changed since UP? 
Oh boy… life’s changed for the better and for the busier since UP! I’m the product manager of a marketing and media agency in downtown Portland, and outside of work I recently launched a business with my team called Goldie Blox, a new engineering toy system for girls.

Tell us more about the launch of your new business.
The concept is called Goldie Blox. It is an engineering toy system focused solely on young girls. Genetically, boys are born with better spatial skills than girls; girls with better verbal than boys. The way that the current ecosystem is, with marketing, media, the toy industry, as well as early childhood education, there is no toy product out there focusing on improving female spatial recognition through skills they already inherently possess, which are collaboration and communication. And that is what Goldie Blox is trying to achieve, through very intentional product design focused around a character and academic validation.

What are you hoping to achieve with Goldie Blox?
We want to inspire future generations of young girls to grow into becoming leaders in engineering, technology, math, and science.

How did you get involved with this project?
I became involved because I met my partner at a social entrepreneurship institute I went to in Los Angeles February 2012. Read about our love story here, at the Goldie Blox blog

Along with work and the launch of Goldie Blox, you are also working on your first short film – what inspired you to start this project? Where do you see your interest in film taking you?
I am a HUGE film geek, but I never thought I was creative enough to do film myself. I grew up being a business brain and less of a creative brain, and so I told myself it wasn’t meant to be my realm. A few inspiring individuals encouraged me to start and here I am! I don’t plan on taking it super seriously, but I am excited to develop it as a real hobby. I’m entering my first short film to the Nomading Film Fest in Brooklyn this summer. 

One year after your graduation from UP, do you have any tips or advice for graduating seniors?
Don’t settle for mediocrity. Aspire for greatness. This world is FULL of resources… got ideas? Go after them! Don’t be scared.

What has been the biggest adjustment to entering the “real world”? 
Managing relationships now that school is over. Everyone is busy with their respective careers and ambitions but now you’re not all living within a campus radius, everyone’s living in different neighborhoods in PDX, different cities, and time zones.

While it sounds like you may not have much of it, what do you do in your spare time?
Train in Krav Maga, which is Israeli mixed martial arts for those who don’t know. I train 3 times a week with one of the most respected black belts in the country. Spend quality time with my loved ones – it’s easy to get blinded by the hustle and grind and forget to relax with great company.

What are some of your short term goals?
Balance my 16 hour/day life, get my next Krav Maga belt, finish Goldie Blox’s prototypes by middle of the summer and generate enough investment money for Goldie Blox so that the whole management team can quit our day jobs and devote 100% of our time to the company. 

What are your long term goals?
Become a level 5 Krav Maga (the highest before you go into teaching and earn much more significant degrees).

What motivates you and gives you this drive?
My parents and closest friends. They inspire me to believe in myself. My life does – I live a very blessed life, so I’m going to take advantage of it.

Who or what inspires you in your day to day?
In terms of “who”: While this may be a typical answer… my family. Every fiber of my being, mentally and physically, exists as a result of them; work ethic, compassion, thoughtfulness, sense of purpose. They inspire everything I do. In terms of “what”: Especially when I’m plugging in 16 hour days, really good hip hop. Nas, Common, BIG…turn up the bass and I’m moving. Also, my Krav Maga training really centers me and is a good mental break.

To catch up with Lynn or learn more about her professional and creative pursuits, follow her on Twitter at @lynnle.

Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.