This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Wahoo, it’s summer vacation! 3 months of pure bliss. Eh, okay maybe not exactly pure bliss but at least there’s sunshine and no homework. How are you going to spend these next three months? Hulled up in your room watching The Office for the third time? I get it, after finals we all need some time to just veg out, but it’ll get boring after about a week or two. Instead of just becoming a couch potato for 3 months, check out these 7 ways to spend your summer vacay. 

1. Beach Trip

What’s summer without a trip to the coast? 

2. Picnic in the Park 

Grab some friends, a blanket and pack a basket! 

3. Read a Book 

Remember how you said you didn’t have any time to read “fun” books during the year because you had to read for class? Well, guess what?! Unless you’re taking summer classes, your required reading is close to none, meaning you can finally read what you want to read! 

4. Try a New Habit 

At the end of the year, we might not have the healthiest habits,*cough, cough, 2 hours of sleep*, but now is the time to reevaluate those habits. Making your bed every morning is a great one to start with. If you get in the habit now, when you go back to school it’ll be a routine and you can say goodbye to a messy bed. 

Related Article: 5 New Habits to Try

5. Learn Something New 

Cooking? Changing a tire? How to braid? A new language? The options are endless. We all have that one thing we wish we knew how to do or wish we had time for. Well, summer is the perfect time to try to learn something new. Sign-up for a fun cooking class with friends or download Duolingo to learn a new language. 

6. Find a Job 

Ah yes, you thought I wasn’t going to mention summer employment, didn’t you? As someone who’s worked every summer as long as I can remember, I highly recommend having a summer job. It’ll keep you busy, teach you some work ethic and not to mention you’ll make some money. 

7. Relax 

Summer vacation is time to unwind and just have some fun. Whether that means just hanging out with friends or just taking a moment to catch your breath, do something for you. 

Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants.