This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The feminist movement has become extremely popular in recent years, as more people have started to fully understand what it means to be a feminist. For some reason, being a feminist still holds a negative meaning in the minds of many. Some people see feminists as men-haters, and “reverse-sexism” is sometimes attached to the movement.

Feminists are not crazy women who never wear bras, put on makeup, or shave their legs. We do not have secret rituals in the forest harvesting the blood of men. We do not cringe at the idea of stay-at-home mothers, we are not all lesbians (or even women — yay for He for She!), and, believe it or not — all feminists do not support abortion. We are not always angry or ugly and we do not all believe in the exact same things, but we do have one common goal: for every single man and woman to have political, social, and economical equality.

Feminism is necessary because men and women around the world are not treated equally. The United States may be taking strides to equality, but women globally do not get the same medical attention, educational, political, and social opportunities and respect.  Why did Mala Yosafzai deserve to be shot in the head because she wanted an education? Why is it okay to disfigure Afghanistan women because they are going to college? Why do girls in third world countries have to miss school and eventually drop out because they do not have the proper sanitary materials when they are on their periods? Why do little girls have to worry about becoming a child bride? Why do more than 120 countries still not have laws against marital rape? Some women around the world are not lucky enough to be able to speak up for themselves and gain the rights and respect they are entitled.

Even in America, we need to work on some aspects of society. There have been more times than I can count that I have seen or experienced crude and insensitive comments that degrade females from both boys and girls. “Sl*t,” “wh*re” and “b*tch” should not exist in our vocabulary. Why should a woman be called a sl*t for having sex, while men are being praised for the same actions? Why should a woman who is walking down the street be summoned like a dog? Let’s stop the uncomfortable name-calling and catcalls and give women the respect they deserve.

There are also stigmas that cannot seem to go away. Feminism is imperative because when a female is raped, the first thing that many individuals ask is: “What was she wearing?” Why should rape be anything or anyone’s fault other than the rapist? Why should saying no or not saying anything at all be misunderstood for consent? The same goes for any kind of sexual abuse. Why did my ex boyfriend think it was “okay” and “normal” to sexually abuse me? And, after I had finally gotten out of the situation, why did both boys and girls think the situation was my fault? Or when I did not want to be around him, why did our mutual friends automatically side with him and stop inviting me to do things with them? When a woman is assaulted, she should never have to be the one to feel ashamed.

We need feminism because emotions should never be viewed as girly. Why should men be looked down upon for crying? Why should a woman be viewed as less capable of holding a position of authority or getting her work done because women are viewed as more emotional than men? Why is it assumed that when a female is emotional, she is overreacting and on her period? And why is it that certain personality traits in a male are more accepted than in a female? Why are girls who show signs of leadership and self-righteousness at a young age labeled as bossy, while boys are viewed as leaders? Then there is the fact that in the United States men as a whole are paid more than women in the same job position. How is that fair?

There should be no such thing as a stereotypical male or female. Preconceived notions of how boys and girls must act should be nonexistent. It should be okay for girls to play in the mud, while boys paint their nails. My aunt and uncle should have been able to say yes when my little cousin asked for his first bike to be pink. Instead, they were worried that would cause other kids to make fun of him. Why should girls be told not to worry about school because they are pretty and can always marry rich? Why should there be so many more heroes than heroines in the media? Why should “you’re playing like a girl” be an insult? Yes, women and men are biologically different, but that does not mean that they are not capable of enjoying the same things, reaching the same goals, playing the same sport, or saving the world from impending doom. Raise boys and girls the same way.

Feminism is crucial because girls do not always see their self worth. Why do 1/3 of 10-year-old girls say the biggest worry they have is their bodies? Why is a girl five times more likely to have an eating disorder than a male? And why do some women believe they are worth more when a man is holding their hand? Feminism is the epitome of girl power and can help to empower girls of all ages to have ultimate self-worth and confidence.

Feminism is not a thing of the past, but it’s crazy that in this modern age all humans are not equal. Everyone needs feminism because it should not be actively needed. It should just be.

Image credit: 1, 2

Junior Fiction Writing and English Literature double majors Italian Studies minor Fun facts: I love all things Italy! My last name even means bread and my friends call me toast. My spirit animals are unicorns, mermaids or Hello Kitty(:
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt