Who Wore It Better: A Guide To Wearing Men’s Clothes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I’ll be the first to admit it: I’m guilty of wearing men’s clothing on a daily basis. However, I’m not ashamed of this. There is nothing more comfortable than throwing on a men’s thermal with leggings and your favorite pair of boots and calling it an outfit. I swear that I get twice as many compliments on outfits in which I am wearing men’s clothing. However, it may be difficult to imagine incorporating men’s pieces into your own wardrobe. Or, what’s more difficult is figuring out where to find these said pieces. But have no fear, because I have all of the answers! FYI: be prepared for the chance of being seen in the same shirt as another boy you accidentally come in contact with…

Where do you start looking for men’s clothing, you ask? The answer is simple. Before you even cash your recent paycheck and head for the mall, look at the selection that you already have access to. My personal favorite closet (AKA, pile of clothes) to look through is my dad’s. I’m pretty sure that I have accumulated well over half of the thermal waffle shirts he owns (sorry not sorry). These types of shirts are perfect for wearing to bed, or even to late night study sessions. My staple go-to thermal outfit is paired with my thickest leggings, high socks, and signature bean boots.

A more unique closet to search through is your Grandpa’s. I’m serious! Macklemore said it right when he rapped that he was “gonna steal your Grandpa’s style.” My favorite cardigan sweater was given to me by my Grandpa, and what’s even cooler is that it was made in Italy. I never have to worry about other people wearing it when I do, so I can honestly say that it’s a unique and staple piece in my wardrobe! I wear this sweater over everything, from t-shirt dresses to a graphic tee and jeans.

However, if you are not able to shop either of these closets, you can without a doubt hit the men’s section of your favorite store. Plus, I guarantee that you can still rock the thermal look! When I’m not busy stealing my dad’s thermal shirts, I buy them from Forever 21. Not only are they super comfy, but the price allows me to spend more money on Chipotle. It’s basically a win-win situation. The Basic Long Sleeve Thermal comes in a million colors, and at a price of $7.80, why wouldn’t you own one in every color?! My favorite color is the burgundy because it’s the perfect fall color and goes with basically everything. Pro advice: order these shirts in a larger size; I order mine in an XL so I can wear them less fitted and more oversized.

Men’s graphic t-shirts are something that I also opt for. They allow for more breathing room (I can’t do clingy shirts) and add a little more edge to an outfit. Men’s graphic t-shirts can be found anywhere, such as Aeropostale and Urban Outfitters. From New York City skylines to Kelly Kapowski (AKA, Saved By the Bell), the designs are endless. Again, getting these shirts a size or two bigger guarantees for a looser fit and an edgier vibe when worn the right way. Whether it’s tucked into high-waisted jeans or worn over leggings with booties, anybody can rock a men’s graphic t-shirt!

Though there are endless ways to rock men’s clothing, I’m all about comfort. So, when it comes to pull-over sweaters, I tend to opt for men’s v-neck sweaters. The v-neck allows for a little shape, but is not revealing. The men’s fit ensures that the sweater won’t be clingy or accentuate the wrong features. My all-time favorite v-neck sweater is from Ralph Lauren. Though this item is a bit of a splurge (unless you do what I did and get it at an outlet), it’s seriously worth your money. I can be seen wearing it with jeans, riding boots, and my navy vest. Add a caramel macchiato and you’re ready for fall festivities!

Image credits: Author’s personal Twitter, 2, 3, 4

Hi! I'm Jessie and I am currently dual majoring in communication and non-fiction writing at The University of Pittsburgh. I am also the Senior Editor for Pitt's Her Campus! I emulate everything Carrie Bradshaw and can watch Breakfast At Tiffany's everyday for the rest of my life. You can usually find me blasting country music a little too loud while wearing a floppy hat.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt