Tips for Traveling With Your Significant Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Traveling is fun, and so is being with your significant other, so it can be frustrating when traveling with your SO leaves much to be desired. Whether it be too much close contact, or stress about travel arrangements, trips can turn out to be more vexing than vacationing. So if your finding yourself wishing that you’d just stayed home after all, fear not. It’s normal to have some friction, but there’s some easy ways you can survive the travel and keep the love.

The Problem: Too much time together.

As much as you love your SO, they’re smothering you. It’s been 8 hours on a plane, 6 hours in a car, 2 in a restaurant and 3 before bed. All spent with them and only them. Of course the time to be alone with your SO sounded like a good idea at first, but now you’ve run out of patience and there’s still 6 days left in your trip!

The Fix: Ignore them.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean this in a bitchy way. However, we all need space. Assert yours by plugging in headphones and opening up Netflix if your in an airport terminal or by turning up your favorite playlist. If you don’t have any headphones available, immerse yourself in a book or in an article online. Take a nap. Just get your alone time however you can.

The Problem: THEY WON’T SHUT UP.

That’s all there is to it. They wont let you have your peace and even though you love them, you might murder them before this trip is over. You’re going bonkers from all their chatter and you’re not sure how to let them down easy.

The Fix: Let it run its course.

If it’s the beginning of your trip, cut them some slack. They’re obviously excited to see you and to go on this great adventure. Just let them keep going, they’ll run out of things to say eventually. Now if its been hours and hours, you could try the tips above for getting space, or you could gently ask them to let you have some quiet time.

The Problem: They aren’t having fun.

For whatever reason, your beloved’s become extremely negative. They aren’t enjoying themselves and it’s making it hard to enjoy the trip. You just don’t know whats up, they were fine a couple minutes ago, what gives?

The Fix: Find out why.

If they’ve become a negative nelly out of the blue, find out why. It’s as much your trip as theirs and if they’re harshing your mellow, you deserve to know why. Tactfully, ask them what the matter is. If it was something you did, apologize for it and move on! If there’s something else, it can always be fixed or at least made tolerable.

Having a fun trip is what you make of it. Whatever the situation, try to remember that you’re with your SO because you love them. They want to be there and to be with you as much as you do, so keep that in mind before you approach them with your issues. Good luck and have fun!

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt