Taking YOLO Too Far: Balancing Your Decisions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Another semester of college is ahead, and this is usually the time students start to think about what’s going to be different for them this semester and what kinds of memories are going to stand out years from now when looking back on these four golden years. But when making a decision in college, the lines can become blurred on whether this decision will help or hurt someone in the long run. One of the worst feelings is holding on to regret about an immature decision that was made long ago, and there are few ways to shake that feeling. This may not seem like an important issue at the moment, but during these college years you are finding out more about yourself than ever before. Would you really want to look back on the good times and feel guilty about not spending your time more wisely? Yes, college is about having fun and meeting your future bridesmaids, but there is so much more you can gain from it—only if you stay mindful of your choices that can influence much of your lifelong dreams and goals.

While a tweet can never be complete without a classic #YOLO tagged on at the end, it’s important to remember that saying YOLO after every careless move does not negate its immaturity. I’m definitely promoting having tons of fun in school and making the most out of your experiences, but just do everything in moderation. Any risky or careless behavior can haunt you for years to come, so never take it too far. The consequences could be all too brutal, and can affect everything from getting a job in the future to your relationships.

Just this past weekend, a student in college got arrested at a football game, and surprisingly had a BAC of .341—shockingly close to the limit of a possible coma. The student made it big over twitter and even tweeted “Just went to jail #yolo.” This kind of incident will be something her name will forever be connected with and will probably hinder her chances of landing a dream job, especially now that anything posted online can easily be found. All it takes is a quick Google search and done! Articles are popping up left and right about one night’s worth of carelessness and bad decisions. Would you really want your name tied down by something like that forever? It’s just not worth it in the end.

So just remind yourself from time to time to ask this question: “How is this decision going to benefit myself and others in the long run?” Hopefully it will have a positive impact. Believe it or not, life does go on after college. Sometimes a choice might not be worth the 5 hours of YOLO for a lifetime of regret. So, go out and have fun like most do (in moderation), but when the temptation hits to make a careless choice, take a second to think of how it will impact your future.

Image Source: 1

Hi! My name is Amanda and I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for HC Pitt and am absolutely loving it! Helping others with advice about their articles and getting to read amazing stories has been so rewarding. I love writing about topics that make people's days just a little cheerier! Her Campus has been a wonderful experience for me over the past four years. I get to work with an amazing team every day and could not be more grateful. As a senior, looking back from where I started with Her Campus, I see how much it's changed me and all of the great friends I've made from it too. Saying HC is one of the best things that has happened to me during my college career would be an understatement! I really love how much it has grown and how much others have benefitted from their experience with our organization. HCXO <3
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt