Surviving Pittsburgh Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Freshman year, I could not figure out what was up with the weather. I am a Texas girl and the whole cold concept made no sense to me. The consistent precipitation turned my curls into a fro and I did not own a jacket thicker than a hoodie. I quickly developed tactics to deal with the strange Pittsburgh weather. I have survived in the northeast for two years! Check out my unique strategies:

1. Coffee maker
In the winter, it gets even harder to get out of bed. You have to leave your warm covers and you do not even have a cup of coffee in your hands! That can easily be changed – just move the coffee maker to your nightstand. Some people might call you lazy, but I call it warm and comfy.

2. Slicker – Puffy – Fleece Combo
During my first October in Pittsburgh, I went to REI and asked the sales person to outfit me for winter. They recommended buying 3 pieces – a rainproof portion, a down portion, and a fleece – that all fit together. Let me tell you, this is a miracle jacket. I can make it work for all variations of Pittsburgh weather. For rain or wind, I use just the slicker. For cold rain, the slicker and fleece are perfect together. In the snow, you can wear all three! If you did not come to college with a winter jacket, I highly recommend one of these.

3. Walmart rain boots
If you have not figured it out already, it rains A LOT in Pittsburgh. This makes rain boots essential and a central part of one’s wardrobe. Freshman year, I got bored always matching my outfit to the same boots. While home for winter break, I visited Walmart and found cheap (under $10) rain boots in multiple patterns. I now have multiple pairs, and each one has a different vibrant pattern. Choosing my shoes for the day is an important part of my morning routine and now I get to pick out shoes regardless of weather.

4. Target gloves
I have learned that you can never have too many pairs of gloves. Having cold hands and realizing that there are gloves in your pocket is an amazing feeling. I have gloves in all of my pockets thanks to my mommy. She saw that there were gloves in the $1 section of Target last year and not knowing what colors to buy; she bought me one pair in each color. I am now the proud owner of 10 pairs of gloves. Watch out for a sweet deal on gloves! Your hands will never be happier.

5. Men’s scarves
Freshman year, I had a lot of trouble finding really good warm scarves. The women’s section was usually out of thick scarves while there were plenty of men’s scarves. Men’s scarves are ultra-soft and come in lots of colors, though, the patterns may not be as exciting, the warmth is just as amazing and they are always in stock.

Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.