Subtweeting: How to Lose Followers & Alienate People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

For those of you who are out of the loop, the term “subtweet” refers to a tweet that is about someone or meant for someone to see without actually mentioning the person’s username or his or her real name in the tweet. It’s an abbreviation for “subliminal tweet.” Most of the time these are basically used as a way to publically gossip about someone. Here are some reasons why you should not subtweet. Ever.

1. It’s immature.

Okay, so you’re mad or annoyed about something. That is no reason to forget that Twitter is a public website and a lot of people have access to what you say. When you subtweet, you are putting your maturity level on display for all of your close friends and followers to see, so think about what you are doing. If you are mature enough to have a platform to share your thoughts on the Internet, you’re mature enough to think before you type something that will make your followers think poorly of you.

2. It alienates the people reading it.

Although you are not specifically singling anyone out, people will still think your post is about them. I know when I scroll down my Twitter feed and see a subtweet all I think is, “Is that about me?” “Does she not like me for some reason?” “What did I say to her that could’ve made her upset?” Even though I may rarely even talk to the person who subtweeted, it still freaks me out. Subtweeting makes everyone reading it uncomfortable whether or not it’s about them.

3. It’s annoying.

People have problems of their own. No one wants to see or hear you complain. If you subtweet enough, people will become immune to it and will scroll right past, or even unfollow you.

4. It won’t solve your problems.

Use your time more productively. Go out and find a way to fix what’s bothering you. If you’re angry or upset, try to talk to someone. Subtweeting will not make your problems vanish. Confront the person you are have an issue with: it will make your life a lot easier, and you can move on more quickly. Don’t bring unnecessary drama into your life by displaying your issues on the Internet for all to see.

5. It’s shady.

If you gossip out in the open, like posting it on Twitter, people are bound to think that you can’t be trusted. It makes your followers think about what you are going to be saying when your words aren’t on display. How do you speak when you know no one is going to be listening to your conversation? Subtweeting will only cause you to seem catty and spiteful.

Photo Credit: Google Images

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt