Spring Break Destinations That Don’t Require a Flight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s almost here. We are only a month and a half away from SPRING BREAK! Right now some of us are worried about all our new classes we have to pass this semester, while others are thinking, “OMG who’s going to win the Super Bowl this year?” Then there are some of us who are spending our days counting calories, walking through the freezing cold to try to get our steps in, and only eating fruit all day long. We know what those people are doing: they’re getting ready for their spring break at the beach!

Some of us college students are lucky enough to go on a spring break with our friends, but some can’t since it’s really expensive, and let’s be honest, most of us are #poorcollegestudents. Sadly, living here in PA, we all know we’re not close to warm weather, and chances are, we have to fly to a spring break destination. Well, the warm weather doesn’t make the spring break, it’s the people you spend the week with that matter. There are a lot of places to go on spring break that you don’t have to fly to.

1. Erie, PA

The first place you could think of going to is about two and a half hours from Oakland. If you have never been to Erie, PA, it has a lot of fun stuff to do in the winter. There’s an indoor water park, a lot of shopping, and let’s be honest, any beach takes a nice selfie. Plus you could trick all your friends and say you’re going to the beach…I mean, technically, you’re not lying. If the winter beach isn’t your style, there’s the Peek’n Peak Resort about 20 miles down the road. I can vouch that place always has the best powder when I hit the slopes. So grab your friends, and start planning your winter wonderland spring break today!

2. NYC

If you don’t like lake-effect weather but you still enjoy a nice cold day, hitting the Big Apple for a few days might be nice. We all know there is enough stuff to do in New York City to keep you busy for a few days, and it’s a great city for some epic selfies with your BFFs. Plus, you never know what kind of famous people are just floating about. Take your friends up there, and take a bite out of that apple!

3. Ocean City, Maryland

If apples and angry people aren’t your thing either, maybe you would enjoy a nice three or four day trip to the beach. If so, then you should go to Ocean City, Maryland. It may not be the warmest there, but you won’t need to wear a winter coat to look outside and see what the weather is like. Since it’s about six and a half hours away, it should be a bit warmer there than it will be here during spring break. You could still sit on the beach with your friends and build a sand castle or watch the waves. Plus, I hear there’s some pretty good night life there all year round.

4. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina  

The last spring break destination is the summer vacation spot for all Yinzers. If you were born and raised black and gold, then you know what I’m talking about. Yes, it’s the place where you’ll run into half of your high school classmates if you go in the summer…I’m talking about MYRTLE BEACH, SOUTH CAROLINA! This is a beach you could fly or drive to. It’s about a ten hour drive and a week of fun! Around this time of year it should be in the high fifties to mid-sixties. This is a great tourist destination with a lot of stuff to do. I go every year and have a blast. Between the goofy golf, beach, and the nightlife on the boardwalk, Myrtle Beach can be a hoot and a half.

When it comes to spring break, it’s the memories you make that count, not where you go. You don’t have to jump on a plane and go to Florida or California. There are a lot of other places you can drive to and make some great memories with some forever friends. So grab your friends and start planning your spring break today!

Picture Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt