One-Of-A-Kind Jewelry by One-Of-A-Kind Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

When it comes to dressing for the day, I’m the type of girl that feels naked without my rings, probably because I’ve been wearing the same ones since high school. For others, it’s a necklace, or a bracelet, or even earrings. Regardless of what your jewelry of choice is, it’s an essential in any girl’s life. Whether it’s for dressing up or down an outfit, with a great piece comes a great mind behind it. This year, I discovered that there are so many amazing, trendy, and talented girls (who are my age) out there creating their own jewelry every day! I had the pleasure of interviewing two of them, so read on to hear all about these amazing (and seriously awesome) girls!

Who: Ginger Githens

School: High Point University

Jewelry Company: Summer Love Designs

HC: How and when did you start making jewelry?

GG: I began making jewelry in June of 2014. My mom and I were thinking about where I should work over the summer; my first choice was to get a job at Surf Taco [a popular beach restaurant in New Jersey] but when I called for a position, they claimed they already had a big staff and did not need any more employees. However, my mom and I are avid customers and found ourselves eating there almost every day, sometimes even twice a day! The whole staff was very familiar with me. The manager came up to me mid-July while I was eating lunch and asked if I was still interested in working there. Meanwhile, I had begun my jewelry business because I figured it would be a great way to make money and designing was something I was very passionate about. Also, I am a huge fan of jewelry and thought it would be a cute and easy way to put my designing skills to the test! It was very spontaneous and I had no idea I would be making as much money [making jewelry] as I do now. After being asked to fill a position at Surf Taco, I was more than willing to take on that job as well as move forward with my jewelry business. That whole summer I sold jewelry and made an alright amount of money for just starting off, plus I had income from Surf Taco, so I couldn’t complain!

HC: What was your inspiration to start making jewelry?

GG: My inspiration for making jewelry mainly came from my dream of having my own fashion line/store ever since I was little. I love fashion so much, and I am always down to dress up or take risks in what I wear. I found that when it came to jewelry there was not a lot that I was loving in store or it was too expensive for the average teenager. My main goal with my jewelry is to have cute and affordable pieces for all ages!

HC: Do you think the popularity of your company has grown since you started? How?

GG: Since I began my jewelry line the popularity has exploded to say the least. I met a great group of girls from a private school a few towns over called Mount St. Dominic Academy. My mom was actually friends with one of the girl’s moms and decided to give her a few pieces way back in March just to be nice, and since then, nothing has been the same. Everyone from that school went crazy over the jewelry. I would have these girls over just to hang out but they would never come to my house without money because they would always want to buy more jewelry! We have everything set up in our den and dining room so that it is easy to look at all the different pieces. As each person bought jewelry, their other friends would see it and be directed toward my Instagram account. Then they would text me what pieces they wanted to order. Every day I get multiple orders from strangers in and out of state! I will sit in my kitchen with my mom for hours making jewelry because we get so overwhelmed with orders!

HC: What is one piece of advice you have for someone who wants to start making their own jewelry?

GG: Be patient because it takes time to figure out what works regarding clasps, beads, and string. I have had issues with clasps breaking and string not being strong enough. Also to stay organized because it can be very confusing to know who sent money and whether or not someone’s jewelry was sent out unless there are records.

HC: Who is your style inspiration and why?

GG: I do not have a specific person that is my inspiration but I love to wear beachy, bohemian and even edgy styled clothing. I based my jewelry around this style and it can even pass as preppy too! I feel like there is a little bit of something for everyone with my jewelry!

HC: What is your dream job?

GG: My dream job is to continue making jewelry and have my own clothing line as well! Something sort of like Free People, but more affordable.

Be sure to check out Ginger’s Instagram account, @summerlovedesigns to see more pictures of her pieces and how you can get your own!

Who: Kerry Masucci

School: Philadelphia University

Jewelry Company: Klarity Krystal’s

KM: I started by using my Grandma’s old jewelry that she didn’t want any more to make more modern versions of the pieces. I was around ten years old when we first started making jewelry together.

KM: I was very young when I first started but it was fun for me to do. I always made bracelets and sets for my family as gifts because I was very young and had no money to buy things for them!

HC: What is the name of your jewelry company?

KM: I currently do not have a jewelry company but my roommates and I have been talking about starting one with different ideas that we have come up with. During the Fall semester, I took a class that incorporated a semester long project where you had to design, manufacture, and sell a product. I had seen a raw crystal beads at a store down at the beach and wanted to create a product that incorporated that. So, we made crystal necklaces that came in five colors: clear, amethyst, labradorite, fools gold, and grey, and called our collection Klarity Krystal’s. They came with two chains; one that went from 13′ to16′ and another that went from 24′ to 36′. We did not presale our product and they all sold out in 2 hours! I have recently made jewelry that incorporated druzy crystals to see how people react and if they would be interested in them before I try to sell them.

KM: We promoted our product and our designs through Instagram and Facebook. To this day, months after the project was over, there are still views and comments about our jewelry on both pages, and inquiries.

HC: Do you hope to expand your jewelry making in the future? How?

KM: I hope to continue making jewelry because for me it’s really enjoyable. I often search for unique jewelry that I can wear as statement pieces but since I started making jewelry, it has become a lot easier to just create the pieces myself. My mom recently was desperately looking for an emerald bracelet but couldn’t find one she liked, so she went and got beads and I made her exactly what she was looking for!

KM: Do a lot of research about where you can get the materials you need and products similar to your designs so you know what the price range can be.

HC: What is your favorite beauty product?

KM: Laura Mercier setting powder! It’s God!

Be sure to check out Kerry’s past collection, Klarity Krystals, on Instagram and Twitter. And, take a trip to The Henna Shop in Stone Harbor, NJ to receive an amazing henna from Kerry herself!

Image Credit: All images come from the Facebook and Instagram pages of the girls interviewed, with permission.

Hi! I'm Jessie and I am currently dual majoring in communication and non-fiction writing at The University of Pittsburgh. I am also the Senior Editor for Pitt's Her Campus! I emulate everything Carrie Bradshaw and can watch Breakfast At Tiffany's everyday for the rest of my life. You can usually find me blasting country music a little too loud while wearing a floppy hat.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt