Miley Cyrus is Doing Nothing Wrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Only a few years ago it seemed unlikely that a hit Disney Channel show would be the venue for a controversial crossover career into hip-hop. Yet just a few weeks ago, America witnessed Miley Cyrus perform an innuendo-laden performance of her hit song “We Can’t Stop” on the MTV Video Music Awards. This performance, along with her recent behavior has sparked intense criticism, mostly regarding her use of an overtly sexual form of dancing popularly referred to as “twerking.” This is not the only criticism, however. She has also been lambasted for her drug use and musical appropriation of black culture. This criticism is not only unfair and unwarranted, but also culturally ignorant and sexist.

Miley Cyrus started her career on the hit Disney Channel show Hannah Montana. Before judging her character, it is requisite to praise her for her transition from a child star into a mainstream success. It seems to be almost expected nowadays that child stars have few options besides reality TV and rehab after their childhood fame has dried up. Justin Timberlake is one of the other few stars to overcome the hurdle of teen-stardom and achieve mainstream success; and his performance following Ms. Cyrus’s at the VMAs received mostly positive criticism. Granted, Timberlake’s performance was nowhere near as raunchy, but there are still some clear parallels between their careers. Timberlake’s music, although considered mainly pop, lends heavily from hip-hop and R&B—traditionally Black-American genres of music. Ms. Cyrus, in a similar manner, is incorporating hip-hop beats and styles into her music. This has caused intense controversy and is viewed by many as cultural appropriation, which it undeniably is. Any borrowing from or blending with a culture that is not your own is appropriation by definition. What is not warranted is the negative connotation that frequently goes along with this. 

Ms. Cyrus has collaborated with Mike WiLL, one of the most famous current producers of hip-hop beats. She recorded with rapper Kanye West just after the VMAs and is rumored to be collaborating with rapper Juicy J as well. She is clearly not trying to capitalize on hip-hop music, but rather immerse herself in it and become a part of it. This is music that has historically contained drug references and sexual innuendos among other controversial topics. Nevertheless, people who haven’t taken offense to these types of lyrics in the past have a sudden problem with them being uttered by a former Disney Star. If it is Ms. Cyrus’s choice to shift her career into a new genre that she appears to be genuinely interested in, we have no right to criticize her simply because the music she’s making is no longer appropriate-for-all-ages pop music.

In fact, Miley Cyrus has no duty to still be appropriate for all viewers in any sense. The sexual aspects of her VMA performance were obviously not appropriate for children, but that’s why the event was rated TV-14. One of the most famous current rap artists, Drake, started his career by acting on the teen Drama Degrassi. Despite the show addressing such issues as overcoming drug abuse, sexual identity, and peer pressure, we do not expect Drake to still address these in his songs. On many occasions he seems to contradict these messages by rapping about having sex with multiple partners and using recreational drugs. In this case, it seems like the most logical reason behind the discrepancies in public reaction is the difference in sex. When a male child star sings about the same things and has girls doing the same dances in his music videos as a contemporary female child star is doing, we don’t bat an eyelash. It’s that simple.

Miley Cyrus is entering a new chapter of her life. We wouldn’t criticize a friend for wanting to change careers or try a different hobby. Hell, a lot of people didn’t even criticize Marky Mark when he wanted to try acting. The reasons for the outcry against her are all obviously unwarranted. It is clear she is not trying to steal from black culture to become successful, nor that she has any moral responsibility to refrain from using her sexuality to sell records. You have a right to dislike her music, or her dancing, or anything else about her act. But if you don’t like it, just do what everyone else does when they hear music they don’t like – change the station. Any other reaction is an overreaction, and in the end all it is likely going to do is keep her name in the spotlight and her records flying off the shelves.

Photo Credit

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt