absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meatless Turkey-Day: Recipes for a Vegetarian Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The iconic Thanksgiving spread is: cranberries, sweet potatoes, a green vegetable, mashed potatoes, pie, and the turkey. But what about those of us who don’t like turkey all that much? What about the folks who don’t eat meat?

Being a vegetarian has been on the rise in recent years, and chefs the internet round have been creating dynamite meatless versions of the holiday foods we love. Some have begun introducing brand new flavors to the table. The recipes below have been pulled from family friends and famous chefs alike, to give all the non-carnivores out there a spread guaranteed to wow.

Chickpea and Mushroom Stuffed Squash

This recipe is truly great for dinners all the time. But something about squash makes it feel at home on a fall dinner table. Nicely spiced and full of fresh herbs, the hearty vegetables are sure to keep you warm and happy – like an all-vegetable bread bowl.

Polenta Lasagna

Having grown-up in and around Philadelphia, I’ve come to know a lot of Italian families. Pasta – especially lasagna – seems to be the universal comfort food, and can be enjoyed without the addition of meat. This recipe features layers soft polenta (think yellow grits), tons of fall veggies, and a marinara sauce to die for. Pro-tip: if you’re not feeling the polenta, it can be substituted with pasta in a heartbeat.

Thai-Spiced Sweet Potatoes

If you’re window-shopping for a place to satisfy all your food needs, look no further than The New York Times’ cooking section. Chefs like Mark Bitman and Alton Brown contribute almost daily to the over-flowing online recipe box. This holiday season, they’ve been working to collect Thanksgiving recipes from across the USA, from all different backgrounds. These sweet potatoes have great kick for a vegetable that’s normally so sweet. You can’t go wrong with coconut milk and curry paste (just warn your spice-sensitive family ahead of time)!

Curried Pumpkin and Pomegranate Quinoa Salad

Shout out to the vegans! This recipe is a protein-packed flavor-bomb that’ll give you a fresh twist on our old friend, Pumpkin Spice. I’m a sucker for anything that looks as amazing as it tastes – crunchy pumpkin seeds, fresh green herbs, nutty quinoa… And don’t the pomegranate seeds look like little rubies? Pro-tip: The FeedFeed – according to a few vegan and vegetarian friends – the best place to find alternative recipes that will wow any traditional family dinner. For more, check out the link above OR flip through their multiple Instagram pages. Your mouth will be watering in no time!

Green Beans with Almonds and Apple Cider Dressing

Warm green beans, crunchy salty almonds, garlicky apple cider. Enough said.

Mushroom Gravy

Gravy – it’s what Thanksgiving’s all about, right? Just because you’re vegetarian doesn’t mean you can’t sing the Bob’s Burgers’ gravy boat song too. Mushroom gravy that you can make the day before makes (a) life a whole lot easier, and (b) the kitchen a lot less crowded by pans. Make enough for yourself, or use it as the “extra gravy” when the pan-dripping run out. Pro-tip: Don’t want to make your own? Pick up a box of Trader Joe’s mushroom gravy. Just as amazing and keeps forever. My mother always has a few boxes on hand in the pantry.

Sweet Potato Pie and Martha Stewart’s Butternut Squash Pie

Not a fan of pumpkin pie or on the hunt for a new flavor? The above two have all the orangey-look of pumpkin pie, but with the fun of different flavors. I personally recommend Martha Stewart’s recipe. While it isn’t a family dinner staple in my house, it has been made on a few occasions – and, speaking as the product of a Southern Family, the woman knows her pies.

Photo credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

A senior English Writing major at Pitt, one of the senior editors here at HC Pitt. The resident maker, news junkie, and history nerd, I can hem your pants and tutor you in the American Civil War, no problem!
Casey Schmauder is a Campus Correspondent and the President of Her Campus at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a senior at Pitt studying English Nonfiction Writing with a concentration in Public and Professional Writing.