A Letter to Drunk, Mean Bitches

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Alcohol is a social lubricant. It helps you shake off awkwardness. It gives you the courage to interact with people with whom you never would have before those 6 shots. It makes the laughs louder, smiles wider, and all that good stuff.

It also can make a girl turn into a total, unjustifiable, petty bitch.

A girl can be mean-spirited without the help of spirits, but alcohol turns the nice girls into mean girls, too. Girls who would never think to say a rude comment directly to another girl go on to say them to complete strangers when they are drunk:

“Umm…who invited you?” “You look like a whore!” “Can you leave?” “Slut!”

Does one more person at the party matter? Do you know anything about this person’s sexual history and have any reason to be offended by somebody else’s lifestyle? NO.

When we verbally attack other girls like this, we become like the playground bullies, flaunting our imagined superiority to those we consider below us. For instance, if I call that girl a “ratchet hoe,” I’ve made a distinction that she is ratchet and I am not. I’m better than that. Let the party know.

Last weekend, I was out with some friends and walking behind us was a group of roughly 3 girls and 3 boys. My one friend was walking and already visibly crying over an altercation that happened at the last place we had been. The moment the group saw us the girls of the group immediately began screaming out, “We can see your ass cheeks,” and “slut.” We were complete strangers to each other and not interacting in any way. Yet, they still chose to be complete bitches to my friend. Since she had already been crying, the girls identified her as an easy target and used her to show the guys that they were superior females.

This isn’t a how-to article telling you any 5 steps on how to be a nicer drunk person. I don’t even know where I would begin: Step 1…line your margarita glass with sugar and not salt? Instead, I am simply trying to put it in your mind so the next time you go to tell that other girl her outfit makes her look like a baby prostitute, you remember this and refrain. You don’t even have to be friendly to them, just save your breath. Say nothing. I know this concept seems foreign sometimes to us girls but silence can be cool. I promise.

Don’t take any of this the wrong way. Females are awesome, and males are equally capable of being bitches in their own situations. Bitch is gender-neutral in this way. The guy I met last weekend who mockingly asked me if my outfit was for a costume party proves it.

Moral of it all: Never judge a person until you walk a mile in their shoes or have carried their shoes home from the bar after too many high balls made walking in your high heels impossible.

Play nice collegiettes,

Danielle Fox

Photo Credit: http://www.layoutsparks.com/pictures/bitch-1

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt