How to Deal with your Homesickness Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Less than two months ago, I sat in my comfortable little garden at home wondering what the new school year would bring- a question I’m sure most of you contemplated too. Unlike most of you however, my home is about 4,000 miles away; all the way in sunny (ha!) England. It goes without saying that I have experienced homesickness, but it didn’t take moving to the other side of the world to feel it. I’m currently on an exchange programme, and it was my first year at the University of Exeter (about three and a half hours away from where I actually live in England) that made me feel the overwhelming lure of home. After speaking to many lovely American people, I’ve realised just how irrelevant the distance is when it comes to missing home. It can affect literally anybody.

The worst part for me was that I was completely unprepared to feel homesick. I love my family and my little bit of the world, but I’d never considered myself a home-bird. I actually jumped at any chance to travel somewhere new and experience new things. Thus, when less than two weeks into my first year I found myself feeling the horribly strong pangs of missing home, I was kind of knocked off my feet. I know from speaking to other people that I am not the only one who felt this way though, and it’s important for you to remember that too. Deeming myself a survivor, I shall impart my wise words of advice (tried and tested) for how to deal with the horrible homesick-y times.

·         List everything you love about the place you are in. Mentally or literally- it doesn’t really matter. Since you’re reading this, you are most likely in Pittsburgh, so obviously you could include Razzy Fresh (Heaven in a tub!) or the convenience of being in a city (ergo the close proximity to countless wonderful restaurants). I would list Panera, of course. You see where I’m going with this.

·         Grab a friend. Being away from home comes with so many responsibilities. You probably find that you’re busy 105% of the time, but sometimes it’s important to take a step back and just chat about how you’re feeling, or about something completely unrelated if that helps more. Go out for coffee. Even better, go out for frozen yogurt. Food and good company can work wonders.

·         Fill spare hours with something you enjoy doing. This one is kind of a double whammy: firstly, it’s important to keep yourself busy as this stops your brain from overthinking about home-cooked meals and other such lovely home comforts. It’s also important, though, to make sure you’re spending some of your time doing things that you actually enjoy. All work and no play makes you a nightmarish, stressful person to be around (as your friends will confirm if you’re currently doubting me). Find just a few hours to sit and draw or go and watch a film. Go to a gig. Eat. Play a video game. Eat some more. Whatever it is that you do that makes you happy.

·         Go shopping! It’s called ‘retail therapy’ for a reason. Enough said.

·         Avoid going home every weekend. This is a trap that I personally fell into and, while it’s a great short-term fix, you end up missing out on so much. The world doesn’t stop turning to wait for you to feel better, so before jumping on the bus homeward, just try to plan something fun with your friends that will keep you occupied for the weekend instead.

·         Finally, if nothing else is working, just cry it out. Everybody cries, and homesickness is as valid an excuse as any other!

There is never a miracle cure to any issue as big or as overwhelming as homesickness; but just trying some of the aforementioned things can really help (honestly!). If all else fails, don’t forget that all of you lucky people are in a country that offers innumerable and effective counselling services (notably lacking in England). So if you can’t talk to a friend, talk to a professional. The most important thing to remember is that you aren’t alone! So many people experience homesickness at some point during their lives, and for most it is when they move to college, as so much changes in such a short amount of time. Don’t let it ruin your year!

Photo Credits: 1, 2

I'm an English Literature student from the University of Exeter, UK, currently studying at Pitt on an exchange programme. Carrie Bradshaw is my idol, despite being a fictional character. Shakespeare reassures me that real love is worth waiting and fighting for, and Dylan Thomas appeases any guilt I feel over a glass of wine.http://hummingstreets.tumblr.com/
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt