yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

HC Pitt’s Monthly Favorites: September Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Happy fall, collegiettes! We couldn’t be any more excited for the temperature outside to drop, the leaves to change colors, our Halloween costumes to be prepped, and of course, all things pumpkin to be eaten. It’s officially autumn, and we’re prepared to get through the season with a whole new list of favorite items.

We like to think that, as a group, we’re some of Pitt’s best trendsetters (insert hair flip emoji here). As such, we want to share with you some of our current but fleeting obsessions—from style and beauty, to foods and entertainment. We know we’ll move on to something new to obsess over soon, but here’s what we did, wore, loved and tweeted about last month!

ENTERTAINMENT

Casey Schmauder: The first football game of the year!

Why we’re obsessed: It’s so good to be surrounded by all of your Panthers singing “Sweet Caroline.” Really makes you feel like this school is home!

Melodi Reich: Painting With a Twist in South Side!

Why we’re obsessed: A few of my friends and I went as a way to unwind, and it ended up being so much fun. Bring your favorite wine and snacks and leave with a really cool painting to decorate your apartment with :)

Fredrika Unander-Scharin: Tiny houses!

Why we’re obsessed: HGTV has a couple of shows dedicated to buying and designing houses 200 square feet or less. I love all HGTV shows, but tiny houses are so unusual, and it’s really interesting to see how much stuff they can fit into a small space. If you’re interested, HGTV shows dedicated to small houses are: Tiny House Builders; Tiny House Hunters; Tiny House, Big Living; and Tiny Luxury.

Alyssa Moore: Halsey’s new album BADLANDS

Why we’re obsessed: It is so addictive. All the songs are so chill but still catchy and upbeat, especially “Colors” and “Ghost.” (An album so good it received a repeat entry in our monthly favorites, check it out in our previous edition of HC Pitt’s Favorites!

Claire Marie Sabatine: The Broadway musical Hamilton

Why we’re obsessed: I saw it this past summer and was instantly obsessed. The soundtrack was just released, and I cannot stop listening. If you like Eminem, Beyonce, Les Miserables, The Beastie Boys, and/or J Lo, then this new modern hit that tells the tale of American history is definitely a winner. FUN FACT: When I met the writer, composer and star of this show, Lin-Manuel Miranda, by waiting not-so-patiently by the stage door, I questioned him about Sara Bareilles’ Instagram video of him and Jimmy Fallon backstage rapping Jimmy’s new voicemail message. Because yes—they are all friends, and also all love the show, and yes, I follow all three of them on Instagram. Check it out! It’s beautifully brilliant and fun. You can listen here.

Caroline Eddy: The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides

Why we’re obsessed: (As well as the movie version, starring a 16 year old Kirsten Dunst.) I promise you, it is one of the most beautiful and hopeful books I’ve ever read.

FASHION AND BEAUTY

Kelsey Kerr: Ulta Automatic eyeliner!

Why we’re obsessed: I have this in almost every color because it goes on so easy and lasts all day. I usually stock up when they have sales (like now!) but it’s $8 for an eyeliner that lasts ~2 months.

Jessie Iacullo: My white slip-on Vans!

Why we’re obsessed: They’re the perfect day-to-day sneaker, but I have also dressed them up for a night in the city. They’re chic and comfortable!

Lauren Nace: Hats!

Why we’re obsessed: I’ve worn either a beanie or wide-brim fedora almost every day for two weeks because I just can’t be bothered to do my hair. (Plus I’m growing out my bangs, and they’re such a hassle.) I get compliments on the fedora every time I wear it!

FOOD

Katie Piscopio: Dole Banana Dippers packs!

Why we’re obsessed: They’re my new obsession that fulfills my dessert craving every night! They are only 100 calories in a pack, and if you freeze them, they are so delicious. They are basically like chocolate covered bananas and they also sell them in other varieties of fruits as well.

Sarah Churchman: Soup!Why we’re obsessed: Especially the vegetable with pesto at Panera Bread.

Taylor Lee Simmons: Definitely my Keurig

Why we’re obsessed: It saves me so much time and money and is always there for me when I need it (lol).

MISCELLANEOUS

Mariah Celeste: Adjusting to dorm life and learning to live independently!

Why we’re obsessed: Being an adult is so crazy!

Photo Credit: Tiny Houses, Badlands, Hamilton, The Virgin Suicides, ULTA Eyeliner, Dole Dippers, all other photos provided by contributors.

BA in Communication and Business Certificate in Digital Media University of Pittsburgh 2016   HC Pitt Business Manager & Social Media Manager 2015-2016 I like sleep and pop culture. @laurnace | laurnace@gmail.com *Opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect Her Campus or Her Campus Pitt as a whole nor do others' opinions necessarily reflect my own. 
Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.