Have You Seen Molly?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you’ve listened to James Trinidad’s song “All Gold Everything” recently, you may have heard the popular line “Pop a molly, I’m sweating.”  You may have also heard about Madonna’s on-stage question for the crowd of a music festival that sparked controversy: “How many in this crowd have seen Molly tonight?”  In everyday life, some people might find this innocent; maybe she was just wondering where someone named Molly was- but to the typical “ravers” at a music festival, Molly is a whole nother world.

A powder or crystal form of MDMA (the chemical used in ecstasy) Molly is considered to be a purer form of MDMA that unlike ecstasy isn’t laced with ingredients like methamphetamine or caffeine.  Classified as a Schedule 1 controlled substance- thus having no specific medical treatment and a high risk of abuse- Molly has been increasingly popular among the most experimental age groups: us.  Molly users range from 16 to 24, thus creating a high popularity of the drug on college campuses and at music festivals, raves, or concerts.

It’s no surprise Molly can be seen in the music industry; its effects include giving the user amplified, positive senses that cause a rush of serotonin in the brain- in turn producing increased amounts of energy with feelings of happiness and warmth.  The most common effects someone feels while “rolling” on Molly are involuntary teeth clenching, nausea, chills, sweating, and blurred vision.  Concert viewers or ravers “roll” because it makes them feel the music, see the lights in an out-of-this-world way, and feel extremely energetic and excited. So, it’s not surprising that most college students describe “rolling on molly” as “f**cking awesome.” 

Molly may seem like it’s all fun and games- she’s known to be a crazy girl- but when it comes down to it, it is a drug; it can be laced with other drugs; and it can seriously affect your body and your emotions. For just a few hours of euphoria and heightened experiences, those who take Molly can experience anxiety, paranoia, depression, sleep problems, confusion and drug cravings for days, or even weeks after rolling. And not to mention, the concert setting makes a teenager easily susceptible to harm while rolling: these settings are usually crowded and hot, thus amplifying the lack of water teenagers drink, which ultimately leads to dehydration.

While most people only roll every so often, Molly is highly addictive, and there are people out there who frequently take high dosages.  For a college student who’s only tried it once, or has done it on occasion, one can argue that there aren’t that many harms; yet, for an “avid roller,” taking in high dosages of MDMA can prevent the body from controlling body temperature, which can result in hypothermia that has the potential to lead to liver, kidney, and cardiovascular failure.

Yet, negative effects aside, less than 4% of emergency room visits in 2009 were related to MDMA, according to the national Drug Abuse Warning Network.  Despite the effects one experiences while rolling or for the weeks following, Molly hasn’t caused many serious problems in society- potentially reinforcing teenagers that what they’re doing is okay.  It’s obvious why teenagers have embraced Molly; college is about trying and experiencing new things, which sometimes can mean trying drugs that are “trendy.” Negative effects aside, the things teenagers feel and experience while rolling are some of the best experiences they’ve ever had- and in turn, worth it to them.  “It feels like an out of body experience.  The lights surrounding you are mesmerizing; happiness overcomes you and fills every compartment of your body,” said Amy* on her experience with Molly.  “You’ve never felt as energetic as you have when you’ve rolled- like you could run six marathons and not stop smiling.”

With music festivals like Bonnaroo, Identity Festival, Dayglow, and many others attracting young crowds, it’s likely that Molly is here to stay- and she doesn’t plan on going anywhere anytime soon.  “Whether you’re against it or not, I suggest being open to trying it once.  Most people will always wonder what it’s like, and hey, we’re in college, right?” adds Amy.  We may be in college, and it may be fun, but Molly isn’t your best friend- she’s not looking out for you.  Whether you’ve “rolled face” before or are thinking about trying it, just remember that it is a drug- it’s not meant to have your best interests in the long run. 

* Names have been changed

Sources: 1 2

Photo Credit: 1 2 3

Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt