A Guide to Thanksgiving-Themed Meals Around Pittsburgh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s November: it’s apparent that cold weather is officially here to stay, you’ve just about had it with school work this semester, and you’re lucky to get out of class before it’s completely dark out. All these downers have sent you into a serious mid-semester slump that have you dreaming of Thanksgiving Break and the home-cooked feast that ensues. If you’re at the point where you don’t know how much longer you can survive off Market wraps and fries (or hot pockets and ramen if you’re off campus) for dinner 5+ nights a week, please keep reading. Now would be an appropriate time to #TreatYoSelf to a sanity-saving Thanksgiving-themed meal to hold you over until the real deal. Here are 7 spots around Pittsburgh with Turkey-day themed dishes sure to satisfy. I’ve done some extensive research by trying all of these out for the sake of the article, therefore I can attest to their deliciousness (you’re welcome).

1. Mad Mex’s Gobblerito and Seasonal Margaritas

Location: South Oakland

Everything you love about Thanksgiving rolled up into one giant tortilla and drenched in gravy. I’m talking turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and corn all served up with a side of cranberry sauce. Need I say more? Okay, well I have one more thing to say—it pairs excellently with an apple cider or pumpkin pie margarita. Yup, those are a thing.

PRO TIP: Go during happy hour for half-off margs and hang around until half-off late night food!

2. The Yard’s Turk’d Up Grilled Cheese

Location: Shadyside and Market Square

This is probably the most outrageous excuse for a grilled cheese sandwich you will encounter in your life, but in the best way possible. This is no simple grilled cheese—it’s two thick slices of Texas toast piled high with turkey, stuffing, corn, gravy, and of course, cheese. Served with your choice of fries (I recommend sweet potato to really round out the Thanksgiving side-dish assortment) and a warm cranberry cobbler. It’s nothing short of heavenly.

3. BRGR’s Gobble-Gobble Burger

Location: East Liberty

This is seriously one of the best burger’s I’ve ever had, but I may be a little biased because, if you couldn’t already tell, I love all forms of the Thanksgiving feast. This burger has some of the more unique ingredients I have come across in my quest. It’s a turkey burger with stuffing, pickled green beans, cranberry-aioli, and gravy. Together they make a magical medley. 

4. Emporio’s Thanksgiving Meatball

Location: Downtown

Emporio is a meatball joint that lets you build your own meatball-based meal by picking everything from the ball to the sauce to what it’s served on. You can choose from sliders, grinders, a panini, or even have it served over hearty sides like mac and cheese or risotto. But for the Thanksgiving meatball—comprised of ground turkey, stuffing, sage, and cranberry – it would only be right to throw it over mashed potatoes, top it with gravy, and finish it off with a side of corn.

5. Dave and Andy’s Pumpkin Pie and Apple Pie ice creams

Location: South Oakland

The essential completion of any Thanksgiving meal is dessert! As if you really needed an excuse to make a trip to Dave and Andy’s, they have a few seasonal delicacies. Pumpkin Pie and Apple Pie ice cream. And don’t forget the waffle cone—you HAVE to get the waffle cone. 

6. Steel Cactus’ Thanksgiving Empanada

Locations: Shadyside and Southside

Another quality Mexican-Thanksgiving fusion: a crispy, fried empanada packed with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and topped off with just the right amount of cranberry sauce.

7. Market Central Thanksgiving

Good ‘ole market Thanksgiving cannot be forgotten. This is the stuff dining hall dreams are made of. After all, what’s better than the rush of finding an unsuspecting freshman with more meal swipes than they know what to do with to swipe you into Market for (free) unlimited Thanksgiving delights??? Nothing, that’s what. Do you even go to Pitt if you don’t go to Market Thanksgiving every year? It’s undoubtedly the best meal Market serves all year, so take advantage, people. 

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, author’s own, author’s own, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt