This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

For some girls flirting is natural and easy, but for others they have no idea how to start. If you fall into the latter category and have a special guy in your life you would love to catch the attention of, follow these tips!

1. Get caught looking

If you spot a cutie in class or at party, you may have the impulse to make sure he doesn’t notice you staring. Actually what you should do is get caught looking. You may be thinking “What?! He’ll think that’s creepy!” Wrong. Look at him long enough for you two to make eye contact. Flash him a smile, then look away. Do this only once though, unless you catch him staring at you later. The smile itself will show him that you’re interested and will offer an invitation for him to come over to talk to you.

2. Ask for a pencil or the time

If you want to initiate conversation yourself but don’t know how to start, ask him for the time or date. If you’re in class, ask to borrow a pencil. This will give you an excuse to strike up more conversation without it seeming out of the blue.

3. Keep gum or mints on you to offer

Another good excuse to start a conversation is to offer him a piece of gum or a mint. It’s a friendly gesture, but not too out of the ordinary. Plus, it’ll give him the impression that you’re a kind person.

4. “Accidentally” bump into him

Sometimes being clumsy can be cute. If you’re in a crowded room or hallway, “accidentally” bump into him. That will give you an excuse to touch him and say “Sorry! I’m such a klutz.” Be careful not to be too forceful though, you don’t want to tackle him.

5. Find a mutual friend to introduce you

If there’s a cute guy you’ve been eyeing up for a while and you know you guys have mutual friends, use that to your advantage! Ask the friend to introduce you two or invite both of you to a group hang out.

6. Practice flirting

If you’re new to the flirting game or are a little nervous about it, practice flirting with someone you’re not actually interested in, like a waiter you’ll never see again. That way if you mess up, it doesn’t really matter, and you will get a chance to see what works and what’s plain awkward.

7. Smile!

If you do get to the point where you engage in lengthy conversation with him, make sure you smile! If you look miserable, it may push him away. A smile will make you seem inviting and interested. Also, you smiling will probably make him smile, and he’ll associate that with enjoying being around you.

8. Make eye contact

You may be nervous while talking to your crush, but make sure you make eye contact while talking to him. Don’t stare at the ground because that will make him think you’re uninterested or rude.

9. Wear perfume

Smelling nice could definitely turn him on. I mean, ladies, doesn’t it make a man more attractive when he smells good? It’s a two-way street. Don’t overdo it though. He should only be able to smell you in close range, not from across the room.

10. Compliment him

One of the simplest forms of flattery is the compliment. If you met him at some activity he participates in, tell him he’s a really good baseball player, writer, guitar player, etc. Don’t be too obvious with the compliments though. Don’t say “You’re so hot.” That may be a little too forward. Try “You looked really good in that shirt today.”

11. Playfully touch him

When talking to him in person, find excuses to put your hand on his arm or touch him in some way. Don’t overdo it though. Also, you don’t have to do it if you’re not comfortable. The playful touching is something that is only right in certain moments and should be used sparingly.

12. Tease him a little

Lightly teasing him is a great way to get you two joking with each other. Joking around leads him to wanting to hang out with you more. Make sure you aren’t outright insulting though, that could make him think you’re a jerk.

13. Pay attention to what he likes

If you pay attention to what a guy is into you can use it to your advantage. Find things he has in common with you and bring them up in conversation. Also, if you discover something like he enjoys hockey you can say “Hey I got two tickets to the hockey game for my birthday. I remember you’re really into that if you want to go with me.”

14. Invite him to a party

If you’re too afraid to ask him out, a good way to ask him out without it being a date is inviting him to a party. Just say “Hey I’m going to a party at Lindsay’s house. It’s going to be really fun. You should totally come!”

15. Don’t be too hard to get

Some people advise that playing hard to get is a good way to get someone to chase you. Yes, it is good to make someone want more, but don’t blatantly ignore him. Don’t play that game where you wait hours to respond to his text messages either. He may move on and assume you’re not interested.

16. Be confident

With confidence, all other aspects of flirting will fall into place. Almost every guy will agree one of the most attractive qualities about a girl is confidence. If you believe you’re awesome, he probably will too. You need to tell yourself you are beautiful and you are worth this guy’s attention, and if he doesn’t see it that way, then he’s blind.

Image Credit: 1

Kelly is the President/ Campus Correspondent at HC Pitt. She is a senior double majoring in English writing and communication rhetoric while pursuing a certificate in digital media. Writing has always been a passion of hers, and she hopes to work in book publishing and a best-selling author one day. She works as a tutor at Pitt's Writing Center and an intern at Creative Media Agency Inc. In her free time, she works on her novel, reads stacks of books and explores Pittsburgh with her friends.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt