freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dates Around Pittsburgh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

So, I go on a lot of dates. Even in my long-term relationship, I think that dates are an important part of “keeping the romance alive.” A lot of the fun of dating semi-strangers is the novelty, but that’s not limited to being a single lady. Below is a comprehensive list of cheap dates that you might actually want to go through the hassle for, even if just on a friend date.

1. Mt. Washington at night. This one is my personal favorite! If you hop on the incline (free with a Pitt ID), it will take you slowly up the mountain, not without a dramatic view of the city. Once you get to the top, walk down along the ledge to get all your favorite angles of Pittsburgh and then make sure you and your date take a selfie in front of the lit-up skyline. There are some great romantic restaurants on Mt. Washington that you and your sweetheart can dine in.

2. Local bar. For the over 21 crowd, this is a nice way to just relax and talk to your significant other one-on-one. You can both get a drink or two and share some warm, greasy bar food after a long day. It’s an added bonus if you promise each other you’ll dress up. When you both look good and feel confident, it contributes to the romance. Local(ish) bars where you can actually hear one another include Hofbrauhaus in South Side (stringy lights hung on all the trees), Primanti Bro’s, Peter’s, Gene’s Place.

3. Parks! Go on a stroll through Schenley Park and watch the sunset or bring a blanket and picnic together. Whether you pack a 3-course meal or some Chinese takeout, picnics in one of Pittsburgh’s many giant parks will bring you closer to nature and closer together.

4. Head down to the Waterfront for dinner and a movie. Or, if it’s an afternoon date, get milkshakes at Burgatory and then stroll along the water. Cheese it up with two straws in one or trade sips if you get different flavors. Get here around sunset for beautiful views and a nice, long walk.

5. Finally, especially as it gets cold, Phipp’s Conservatory and Botanical Garden is a great and romantic way to pretend you’re on a vacation in the rainforest. I did this in the middle of our terrible snowy winter and I was able to get into a cute tank top because of the warmth and every new room was a new conversation, never a dull moment. Because Phipp’s is broken up by country or climate, it opened up the floor to discuss a lot about our travels and our preferences.

Image credit: 1, 2

Hi, I'm Sarita. I am a senior Communications major at the University of Pittsburgh. My writing topic interests include job acquisition, school survival tips, Latin culture, feminism, fashion, nutrition, and current events.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt