This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Name: Dan Wickens

Year: Senior

Major: Environmental Studies

Hometown: Westfield, New Jersey

Relationship Status: Single

Favorite Color: Blue

Favorite Animal: Polar Bears

Her Campus: What are some of your hobbies?

Dan Wickens: I play for the Ultimate Frisbee team at Pitt. It’s something that takes up a lot of my time and I’m really into it. But when I’m not playing Frisbee or practicing, I like to listen to music, I like being outdoors, and I also like sports. So kind of like your typical guy – music, sports, and outdoors.

HC: Fair enough. So what do you do to de-stress?

DW: I like to listen to music a lot. And work out – I exercise when I’m stressed. Or I just chill and watch movies or TV.

HC: So what’s your favorite movie?

DW: Probably Fight Club.

HC: I can imagine that.

DW: Haha, yeah I like Fight Club.

HC: So what’s your favorite pickup line…if you had to use one?

DW: (laughs) If I had to use one? All right…well it would probably be, “How much does a polar bear weigh?” (I paused for a good twenty seconds doing the math) “Enough to break the ice. Hi, my name’s Dan.” (He even offered me his hand to shake, what a gentleman)

HC: Have you actually used that pickup line on anyone?

DW: No, but that would be what I’d use! Another one I’ve heard, by the way, is, “So tell me, did it hurt when you fell down from heaven?” (Wow, I have adorable friends)

HC: (Once I regained control of my laughter) That’s an interesting one. What are three qualities your ideal girl has to have?

DW: Well she can’t be overbearing or possessive. She has to have a good sense of humor. And she has to be open-minded.

HC: Shouldn’t be too hard to find, right? So what’s your ideal date?

DW: So I’ve found this girl and I want to impress her, so I’d take her to a park and have a picnic. (Smiles like he just won the lottery)

HC: That’s a really good idea. I’d be into that! So what’s one thing you can’t live without, and why?

DW: Music. It would have to be music – I listen to it all the time. I have specific songs and artists that I listen to when I’m in a specific mood, and it just helps me relax. I wouldn’t be the same person without music.

HC: Good answer, I’m feeling very moved right now. (We both snorted) If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

DW: Australia. That’s where I went for my study abroad trip. After being there, I feel like I could live there and I would want to experience the Australian lifestyle. It’s very laid-back and different than life is here. 

HC: And they have cool accents!

DW: And they have cool accents. They have great plant and wildlife biodiversity that is unparalleled anywhere else.

HC: If I went to Australia, I’d visit Ayers Rock (I babble about high wind speeds) and the Great Barrier Reef.

DW: I’ve been there. If I had to be specific, I’d go back to the GBR. It was beautiful and I’d give anything to be back there.

HC: Back to the present. If you were a food, what food would you be?

DW: I would be a cupcake, ‘cause I’m charming and sweet.

HC: What flavor cupcake would you be?

DW: Any flavor you want (smiles).

HC: Oh. Ah. That’s quite an option. Do you have sprinkles on you?

DW: No sprinkles, just me, the cupcake (scrunches up his face).

HC: No sprinkles then. If you could date any celebrity, who would it be?

DW: Jennifer Lawrence, because she seems like an actual, normal person and she doesn’t act in a certain way. She acts the way she normally is and I think it’s really cool that she can be that way given how famous she is now.

HC: If you could change your major to anything else, what would it be?

DW: Astronomy. Because I’m really interested in space.

HC: Favorite song?

DW: I would have to say “When a Fire Starts to Burn” by Disclosure, which is my favorite band right now.

HC: If you had to be an ambassador for a cause, what would it be?

DW: Environmental justice.

HC: Last question: What’s one thing a girl could do that turns you off?

DW: Someone who is cynical about everything; when their life is defined by negativity. Someone who complains a lot isn’t helping themselves or making others feel better either.

So here’s your latest Campus Cutie, readers! He’s smart, passionate about the environment, athletic, and equipped with a 1000-watt smile. I hope you enjoyed getting to know a bit about Dan Wickens! 

I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh who loves traveling the world, writing, and college life in general. My majors are Environmental Studies and Biology, but I want to focus on journalism too if possible. I'm super passionate about Model United Nations, of which I am now president (yay!), and the environment. I'm a very happy, enthusiastic person who loves pickles and twizzlers and brightly-colored nailpolish and long dangly earrings, among other things. Her Campus is my favourite website and I'm so excited to be a part of Pitt's campus chapter!
Hi! My name is Amanda and I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for HC Pitt and am absolutely loving it! Helping others with advice about their articles and getting to read amazing stories has been so rewarding. I love writing about topics that make people's days just a little cheerier! Her Campus has been a wonderful experience for me over the past four years. I get to work with an amazing team every day and could not be more grateful. As a senior, looking back from where I started with Her Campus, I see how much it's changed me and all of the great friends I've made from it too. Saying HC is one of the best things that has happened to me during my college career would be an understatement! I really love how much it has grown and how much others have benefitted from their experience with our organization. HCXO <3