Boys Talk Fashion (and Girls do, too)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

We all have those clothing items that make us swoon a little bit when we see someone modeling them particularly well. You know, the clothing that makes the person look so good that all you want to do is rip it off. While I personally enjoy fitted black v-necks, crewneck sweaters, and a pair of nice dark jeans on a guy, everyone is subject to their own tastes. With this in mind, I set out to find what clothing really turns other college students on, and what just turns them off.

As always, ladies first. Boys, take notes. Girls, feel free to scroll down and see some surprising answers from our Y-chromosomed friends.

Linda Cheung, a sophomore, is the perfect person to ask about what looks good on guys, and what just plain doesn’t (or so her friends repeatedly told me). This must be true because when I asked, she fired off,  “Button-up and sweater, preferably grey or navy!” without a second of thought and needed no prompting to get her to explain such a passionate love for this classic, cool combination. “You just look super professional. You can take care of yourself. Professional. Mature. Preppy. Just cute!” As such a fan of the put together look, Cheung’s answer to what clothing she can’t stand to see a guy in came with little surprise: “Baggy jeans! They are gross. I don’t want to see your boxers and you don’t look cute at all.” I didn’t mention to Cheung that she only had to pick one item (I didn’t have time to) before she gave another blunt, but widely agreed-upon, fashion opinion: “Tapout is a sign for douchebag. You know you are a douchebag if you are wearing Tapout shirts.”

Well said, Linda, well said. Linda and her friends also ranted about everything from backwards hats, Aeropostale shirts (good call on this one, ladies), salmon-colored shorts, tight shorts, short shorts, class rings, boys who have both their ears pierced, and old grandpa tennis shoes. So, boys, if you wear none of those items, but instead know how to sport a good pair of glasses, nice khakis, a suit (to which they expounded are “obviously” a turn on), plain t-shirts, cardigans, crewnecks, V-necks, or a “sexy” Henley, I’ll let them know that you are interested.

While Linda and her friends go for more of the put-together, “I’m going to make tons of money to spend on you someday” sort of look, Hannah Davis, a freshman, wants a man with his head in the game. The shoe game, that is. Her brand of choice? “Nikes. It’s just a form of athletic style. It shows that they are athletic but don’t take themselves too seriously.” Hannah laughed and smiled (perhaps thinking of a particular sneakerhead boy) while her friends stole the spotlight with lines such as “If a guy doesn’t have nice shoes, see ya!” and “If a guy doesn’t have a nicer shoe game than I do, that’s a problem.” So, gentleman, keep them clean. Keep them creaseless. Keep them fresh. Keep them matching, and most importantly, keep them Nike.

Hannah’s biggest turn-off was those pom-pom hats that have been making their way onto the winter accessory scene these days, but she and her friends also agreed that sweater-vests, more than one ear piercing, hockey jerseys, oversized clothes, scarves (my own personal number one turn-off), and wrinkled clothing were all just one big no. Yet, khaki shorts, short hair, facial scruff, basketball shorts, crewneck sweaters, and that thing where you wear a hoodie with a zip-up black jacket and poke the hood out, were all mentioned as being major turn-ons.

Overall Major Turn-Ons for Girls: button-ups and sweaters, Nikes, crewnecks, khaki pants or shorts, and a general sense of how to take care of yourself

Overall Major Turn-Offs for Girls: baggy jeans, Tapout shirts, pom-pom hats, and having both ears pierced

Looks like that decision to get those studs in your ear back during Senior Week wasn’t such a good decision after all. Take out some of that ice, throw on something a little less casual than the t-shirt you got for free during orientation week, and go get ’em, boys!

Now it’s time to hear what the boys said (or didn’t say) that makes me have a little more faith in them.

Dave Tombalow, a senior, must have a thing for coats. Brightly-colored peacoats to be more specific, and royal blue ones to be exact. He has even gone so far as to say that he once used the pickup line: “I like your peacoat” at a party. It worked. However, all coats are not created equally, and Dave’s biggest turn-off is something 50% of you are probably wearing right now. “North Faces. So dumb. Everyone wears them. I understand if you are an adventurous girl, but no. You are walking from Towers to the Cathedral. The stairs to Sutherland don’t count as a mountain.” For our readers from outside of Pittsburgh, those are some of our buildings and campus locations. For our Pittsburgh readers, I know I, for one, could call some of my Friday nights in Sutherland quite the adventure.

Besides royal blue peacoats, Dave and his friends said tights, Doc Martens, yoga pants, white tank tops, stockings with intricate designs, wife beaters, band t-shirts, and anything that fits their personality is a turn-on for them. Girls, if you happen to appreciate these thoughtful and unsuspected answers as much as I did, stay away from Drug Rugs, frameless glasses, and any clothes from 2003 like “Rockaway” and “Baby Phat” if you want to have a chance with them.

It was Brian Lauro, a freshman, who finally gave me the answer that I had been expecting. “Yoga pants.” Why are they such a turn-on for him? “Nice butt,” he said casually and unapologetically while his friends nodded in agreement around him.  Perhaps this explains his hate for baggy basketball shorts. His friend, Kyle Berkow, wanted in on the fun, too, and described how girls do that classy but sexy open button-down shirt with a camisole underneath look. This pleased me; it’s a timeless look that is easy to do. What he said next, not so much: “Rain boots, I hate rain boots. How often are you in the water? You’re in it for like five seconds and then you are at class.” As an avid rain boot wearer myself (you wear ballet flats in the rain and THEN come talk to me), I’m going to have to let myself forget about that comment. Otherwise, these guys were men of simple pleasures: bodycon dresses, hair down, and sexy librarian glasses get them going, while calf socks, too tight clothing, and that “bun thing that girls do” turns them off.

Overall Major Turn-Ons for Guys: clothing that makes you look like an individual, yoga pants, and camisoles that leave them wanting more.

Overall Major Turn-Offs for Guys: North Faces, poor-fitting or tasteless clothing, and rain boots.

Before you scream bloody murder at the bashing of your beloved North Face or Wellie boots, remember that most girls either dress for other girls or for comfort. Maybe consider adding a little color to your life (royal blue is great for winter) and throw on one of those button-ups when you feel like making the effort. But it’s college, so that will probably happen… never. Oh well!

PHOTO CREDIT

Taylor Lautner:

http://famewatcher.com/mens-v-neck-shirts-chad-white-for-littlewoods.html

Man’s Sweater:

http://www.everydayminimalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/sweater.jpg

Yoga Pants:

http://www.victoriassecret.com/clothing/yoga-pants-and-tops/the-most-loved-yoga-pant?ProductID=67854&CatalogueType=OLS

I'm a current Junior at the University of Pittsburgh, majoring in Political Science and minoring in Spanish language! I was born and raised in Philadelphia and I am a huge city kid! I'm very open about most things in my life; Sex, drinking, partying, friendships, etc. (you name it). I'm a firm believer of loving and knowing yourself before allowing others to make those decisions for you. If you don't love yourself or know who you are, then others never will!