A Beginner’s Guide to Fall & Winter Hats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s that time of year where the walk to class leaves your ears about to freeze and fall off. What better way to combat the cold than to wear a kicka** hat? There is a hat for any situation whether you are dressing for comfort, formal wear, warmth, or all three!

The Floppy Hat

This is my all-time favorite hat; I have one and wear it all the time. It goes with anything from a grungy cutoff shirt to a blazer and button-down. It’s usually made of felt so it’s decently warm, and you can buy them for a reasonable price at Urban Outfitters or Free People.

The Fedora

If you are trying to wear a classic fedora, it may be a little difficult to pull off. The new thing is fedoras with longer brims, which don’t look quite so retro. These can be worn with nicer outfits, but work well with boho looks. I bought one from Roxy that is made quite nicely.

The Beanie

My go to. Beanies are absolutely perfect for those bad hair days or days when you need some extra warmth. Personally, I prefer a little bit more of a grungy look which works well with beanies, but they also go well with a semi preppy look. A beanie will complement bean boots or chambray shirts just as nicely as a flannel or t-shirt.

The Baseball Hat

Baseball hats are also great for messy hair days. Companies are starting to make nicer looking baseball hats, like the quilted one below or even leather ones. I tend to stick to my Red Sox hat, but it’s a lot harder to dress up. My perfect study outfit involves a baseball hat, a long sleeve t-shirt, jeans and combat boots.

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt