This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

We get it, things can get very hectic between classes, homework, working, club obligations, and wanting to have a social life, but fear not! We’re here to give you the seven steps to manage it all and still have time to eat and sleep.

Step 1: Get a planner!

Having a well-organized planner is crucial to keeping track of your assignments, exams, and other obligations. I personally use the Vera Bradley agenda book because it has a nice pattern on the front and is very functional. If you’re looking for something a little bigger but just as cute, try one of the Lily Pulitzer agendas; they come in a range of sizes and patterns. If you’d prefer something less bold and easier on the wallet, try a Five Star® brand planners.

Step 2: Actually use your planner!

So you have a planner — now what? The obvious answer, of course, is to write in it. By this, I don’t mean to haphazardly jot down a few due dates. Write in it religiously and create a specific system. My first step when getting a new planner is to put a copy of my schedule in the front cover or in a designated section, if there is one. I color code my schedule: one color for each class, a color for work, and a color for clubs and events. I also like to write in times to exercise so that I can have some time for myself. Every Sunday evening, I do the basic set up of my planner for the week. This includes writing down classes on the days I have them, any special events for the week, my work schedule, and any deadlines from my syllabi. Then, as more information comes in class, I update my planner every day during lunch and dinner. By keeping everything written down in one place, you’re less likely to lose track of events, due dates or meetings.

Step 3: Find a routine.

Routine is really important when it comes to getting things done effectively. Try to maintain as consistent of a schedule as possible, especially for work and exercising. If you schedule a time for specific tasks, you’re far more likely to get them done. If you, like me, sometimes get so busy that you forget to sit down and eat, try to set aside time between classes to grab lunch. I like to make plans to meet up with friends for breakfast or dinner so that I’m less likely to forget. Find what works for you and stick to it! The board in the picture cost me about $5 to make out of a picture frame, a sheet of paper, and a dry-erase marker.

Step 4: Keep a priorities list.

I know — it sounds a little intense, but sorting obligations by how important they are each day is a great way to make sure everything gets done. I sort things into three categories: “must get done,” “if I have time,” and “maybe tomorrow.” By keeping track of items this way, I have a sense of direction when it comes to tackling massive workloads, remembering to do laundry, going to the store, and meeting up with friends. If you’re not sure where to start, sorting tasks is always a great way to find what really needs to get done. Using this system to build a to-do list lets you focus on what’s really important.

Step 5: Don’t waste time.

This one’s really obvious, right? The best way to manage time is not to waste it. But hear me out — we have so much more free time than we think we do. My personal favorite time to catch up on a quick assignment is in between my morning classes while having a cup of coffee. Running on a treadmill? Instead of jamming to whatever song gets you going, try listening to an audiobook for English or a podcast of the topic you’re covering in history. Tidying up your room? Multi-task and check off “call mom” from your to-do list. Bring homework you’ve been avoiding down to the laundry area with you and make yourself do it while you have nothing better to do. If you’re early to class, pull out that hefty reading assignment that you’ve been telling yourself probably isn’t that important. By taking advantage of your ability to multitask, you’ll free up some actual downtime (Did I really say there’s a possibility of downtime?!).

Step 6: Treat Yourself!

All work and no play can put you on the fast track to crashing and burning. Making sure to get your school work is important, and so is going to work and making money. At the end of a long day of classes, studying and working, doing homework that’s not due for a few days will seem nauseating, and it should. If you’ve worked hard, reward yourself. If I get all of my priorities done and tick off a few “if I have time” items, then I reward myself with Netflix or personal reading time. Working hard doesn’t mean giving up all your favorite hobbies. If you’ve had a really successful week, go out over the weekend and let loose. We’re still young and need time to relax, take care of ourselves, and see our friends!

Step 7: Take care of yourself.

I cannot emphasize this enough: absolutely no assignment or shift at work is more important than your physical wellbeing. Even if you’re the busiest person on the planet, you need to take time for yourself. If you feel like you can’t do anymore work and need to go to bed, go to bed. If you haven’t made time to shower or try that facial cream you bought a month ago, take the time for it. Working non-stop with no rest isn’t feasible and your health, both physical and mental, will suffer. Learn when it’s time to stop studying. Set a bedtime for yourself and make sure you’re getting the proper amount of sleep at night. Even if taking a nap or just relaxing for a few hours sets you back a little, that amount doesn’t come close to how behind you’ll be if your lack of sleep destroys your immune system. If you’re a classic work-a-holic and that’s not enough for you, people are much more productive when they’re well-rested. Give your mind and body a chance to recuperate. When you do this, it makes you more functional to tackle new assignments, and you’ll be much happier and mentally healthier.

Image credit: author’s own, 6, author’s own

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt