5 Ways to Avoid Being “that Facebook Friend”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

When you turn your laptop on and open your Internet browser, what’s the first website you open up?  For most teenagers, it’s instinct to go straight to Facebook. Despite how annoyed some of us may get with the site, it’s everyone’s guilty pleasure.  You may have planned on creeping on that guy you met last weekend, but you didn’t necessarily plan on having to see those annoying posts by some of your friends, now did you?  There may not be an official rulebook on how to not be annoying on Facebook, but in my opinion, there should be.  There are so many “Facebook fouls” that are just unnecessary and even somewhat embarrassing for the person posting them.  More and more, people are mistaking Facebook for their own diary. But remember, a diary isn’t supposed to be read, let alone posted online!  Here are some tips on how not to be “that Facebook friend:”

1. Don’t post long statuses about your daily activities. You all know exactly what I’m talking about: the “let-me-tell-you-all-about-my-typical-day” Facebook friend, who just posts excessively long statuses on what they’re doing at every. freaking. second.  It’s nice that you’re eating eggs for breakfast – heck, I’m even jealous of you – but it’s unnecessary for your hundreds of friends to know what you’re up to. You’re off to work for the day? So are about half of your other Facebook friends.  You’re thinking of lying down and watch a movie? Go watch it, you don’t need to get all of our approval on what you do everyday!  Facebook may be a social media site, but save the little details on your life – where you ate lunch, what friends you saw, or what your game plan is – for the ears of your close friends and family.

2. Refrain from posting passive aggressive statuses expressing your anger or sadness. We all have those days where we’re feeling sad, depressed, or just straight up annoyed with someone.  It could be that you had a fight with your friend or boyfriend, you had one of those days where nothing goes your way, or you’re just feeling blue.  Everyone’s experienced them and we all know how much they suck, but posting about it on Facebook isn’t going to make you feel any better.  Writing emotional or passive aggressive statuses on Facebook will come off like you’re just trying to seek attention and some sympathy.  Whenever people talk about their feelings, it’s mostly because they want someone to console them. This isn’t the job of your hundreds of Facebook friends who are just logged on to socialize or creep.
3. Save the discomfort for all – avoid the Internet PDA.  Whether it be pictures of you two in the midst of a steamy makeout, or just a status about the mushy thing that your boyfriend did for you today, it’s uncomfortable for people to see.  It’s awesome that you and your significant other have a solid relationship, but some aspects of that relationship should just stay between the two of you – it makes it more special. Certain parts of your life are meant to stay private; that means broadcasting what happened on your date to the world is a big no-no.

4. Refrain from constantly checking in to places.  I get it, it’s cool that you can check into Dunkin Donuts on Facebook while you’re there, but it seems pointless.  People don’t really care where you are and who you’re with, and checking in to multiple places a day just seems like you’re trying to get attention for all the activities you do.  If you do like checking in to certain stores or restaurants, try to limit it to one place a day – having five check-ins all in one day is unnecessary.  Also, consider the amount of people who will know where you are and what you’re doing. We’re all guilty of having some friends on Facebook who are random – do you really want them to know your whereabouts? It’s creepy for 800 people to know where you are!
5. Stay away from posting your opinions on controversial topics. Political issues, economic issues, world issues – there’s always bound to be controversy surrounding them.  We’re all human, and we all think differently, so be mindful about what you’re posting on Facebook.  Not everyone shares the same beliefs, so your remark on a certain religion could be extremely offensive to others.  I know it’s unrealistic to think that there’s not going to be some people you encounter in life who you offend – it’s inevitable that we all won’t agree on every issue in the world – but it’s not worth broadcasting it.  It doesn’t exactly portray you in a good light, and it’ll most likely cause some intense Facebook fights.

We all may be guilty for being that annoying Facebook friend at times, but you simply have to remind yourself of one thing: this is the internet, and what you post will be there forever.  Save your special moments or venting for your friends and family; they have no choice but to listen to you because they love you.

Photo Credits:
http://t.qkme.me/39uf.jpg
http://blog.desertrose.net
http://static.someecards.com

Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt