5 Tips For Making the Perfect Party Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Whether you’re throwing a house party, a mixer, or just kicking back with friends, it’s always important to have an awesome music playlist! Here are some tips to get your shindig off to the perfect start:

1.      Know what will get people on the dance floor.

Selecting songs that you know will get people up and dancing is one of the most important steps to making a decent playlist. If you’re stuck, try browsing iTunes, Billboard, or music blogs to see what records are on the charts. You can also listen to the radio for inspiration; and don’t forget to mix in your own favorites!

2.      Include throwbacks.

Who wouldn’t mind a bit of nostalgia? Mix in some tracks from back in the day to get your party guests up and moving. Club hits from the late 90’s to early 2000’s are particularly popular with college crowds.

3.      Mix different genres.

Nothing is more boring than a DJ that never experiments with different genres. If your guests are fond of house music, don’t be afraid to mix in some hip-hop. If you expect party goers to be pop fans, try mixing in a reggae jam or two. Life is all about new trying new things, why shouldn’t your party playlist be?

4.      Arrange them in order

One really helpful tip is to organize the songs in order to dictate the mood of the party. For example: after every couple of fast songs, mix in a slower one to avoid your guests becoming overwhelmed or jaded.

5.      Fade songs together.

This is more of a technical step, but extremely crucial. To avoid having awkward gaps of silence on the dance floor, edit your playlist so that the beginning and the end of each song fades with the next. This way the music plays nonstop all night long!

Now that you know how to put together a great playlist, you’ve got the most important aspect of the party all set! Crank up the bass and join your guests on the dance floor worry-free!

Photo Credit

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt