5 Ridiculous Reality TV Shows that (thankfully) Did NOT Last…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

We currently live in a time where a large part of the television programs that are on air happen to be reality shows. Some of these are interesting and engaging to watch such as: The Voice, Dancing with the Stars, and The Bachelor. On the other side of the spectrum are some more absurd shows, like Jersey Shore and Toddlers and Tiaras. However, those shows don’t seem all that bad in comparison to others I’ve come across. There are some extremely outrageous reality shows that fortunately did not last long. Here they are (in no particular order):

1. Temptation Island – This show, which premiered on Fox, had couples agree to live with members of the opposite sex to see if either partner would be tempted to be unfaithful. The idea is completely outrageous, but somehow this show lasted for three seasons. First of all, if you think that there’s a chance that your significant other will cheat on you when given the opportunity, why are you together? Secondly, even if he/she were to cheat on you, why would you want that to be televised?

2. Who’s Your Daddy – This was another Fox program, but only lasted one season. This show placed an adult, who was put up for adoption at a young age, in a room with 25 men. One of those 25 men is the contestant’s biological father. The men have to try to convince the contestant that he is their father, and the contestant must choose who he/she thinks it is. If the contestant guesses correctly, they win $100,000. Think that’s crazy? Just wait for this… If the contestant guesses incorrectly, the man who he/she guessed will win the $100,000! Adoption is a very sensitive topic and should not be made into a game show.

3. Bridalplasty – This originally aired on E! and only lasted one season as well. It had twelve women who are engaged live together and compete in challenges for the opportunity to get all the cosmetic surgery they want before their wedding day. Each woman would start off by making a wish list with all the cosmetic surgeries they want to undergo before their big day. The winner of each challenge would have one of their “wishes” granted and the overall winner of the show would have the opportunity to get all of the surgeries on her wish list completed. This show did not send a good message to young women out there. What ever happened to loving who you are?

4. Boy Meets Boy – This show lasted one season on Bravo. Remotely similar to The Bachelor, this program featured one gay man who was to choose a mate out of 15 male suitors. Plot twist: Not all of the suitors were gay. 

5. Are You Hot?: The Search for America’s Sexiest PeopleYes, it is exactly what it sounds like. This show (which lasted only one season) premiered on ABC, and was simply a show that assessed the contestants based on their appearances. Again, this is probably not sending a great message out to its viewers.

Now, if you’re anything like me, you’re probably thinking something along the lines of, “Who would come up with these ideas and think they would be successful?” But let’s just be grateful that these shows aren’t still on air and taking up the time slots TV shows that may be insightful or informative.

Photo Credit

Information Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Emily Kearns is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh. She is pursuing a dual major in Communication and Business, along with a certificate in Digital Media.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt