5 Chic Summer Must-Have Hairstyles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As Pittsburgh finally escapes the frigid winter, Pitt students are ready to welcome the warmth in any way possible. What better way for collegiates to embrace the sunshine and breeze than by indulging in those cute spring hairstyles we’ve had to shelve away for five months? It may be getting close to summer, but we collegiates have more than enough hairstyles to dazzle campus. No more hat hair (unless it’s a beret) and no more static. Pitt girls are ready to tackle these last few weeks of the semester with beautiful hair. Here are five easy, fresh hairstyles to try:

1. Going out for a date with that hot guy in your chemistry class? Headed for an outdoor concert or a girl’s night out in Southside or Downtown? Well, we have a hairstyle for you – the Bohemian Princess. Easy to create and even easier to maintain, this look will have you looking your best and make you the envy of Oakland.

How to Style:

1. Brush through hair with a wide-bristle brush.
  2. Create a deep side part.
  3. Section off face framing layers.
  4. Create two simple three-stranded braids.
  5. Wrap each braid around head toward face.
  6. Secure braids with bobby pins.
  7. If you want to curl the face framing layers, use a curling iron or wand.
  8. Finish with a medium hold hairspray.

And there you have it! You’re ready to wow Pitt with your regal hairdo with barely any effort!

2. Braids are all the rage this summer and there’s no reason for Pitt girls to not try them out. Try an easy wraparound braid to keep your hair out of your face in the warm weather. Note: this style will hold better if your hair hasn’t been washed for at least a day.

How to Style:

1. Using a comb, make a part on your preferred side.
  2. Start an inverted French braid on one side near your part. Take three pieces of hair and braid them, adding a new piece to the outside piece as you go.
  3. Continue the braid around to the back of your head until you’re about three-fourths of the way around.
  4. Use one hand to hold the loose end of the braid and the other hand to gently pull the braid to create more volume.
  5. Secure the braid with bobby pins on the other side near your ear.
  6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 with the hair on the other side of your part.
  7. As you wrap the second braid around the back of your head, work your fingers up through the first braid so that you can grab the end of the second braid, pulling it down through the hole.
  8. Secure the braid with bobby pins.

3. The Summer Fringe: Ladies, those short bangs on your forehead might get in the way when you’re trying to study for finals, but they’re perfect for that radical-yet-sophisticated look that we all secretly want to flaunt. Try pairing your new fringe with two braids, just like those middle school days. Trust us; they’ll look much cuter now. Or maybe try a fishtail braid over one shoulder. Summer’s almost here, and it’s time to experiment!

4. If you have short hair, here’s a style for you to try! Don’t you wish you could just roll out of bed and go out without worrying about bed hair? Try this style for that adorably dishevelled just-out-of-bed look. This look is suitable for square, oval, or heart shaped faces.

How to Style:

1. Make sure your hair is completely dry. Create a soft side part and sweep hair over using fingertips.
  2. Create separation in the fringe and face-framing pieces by deconstructing with your fingertips.
  3. If you feel the need, use hairspray to set this style.

5. Who says you need to spend longer than 5 minutes on getting the perfect summer hairdo? Instead of spending time on complicated hairstyles, try outshining the skyline of Pittsburgh with hair accessories. Hairclips, bows, headbands, bandanas – the list goes on. Here are a few options:

• The Floral Side Ponytail: Take your hair and tie it into a side ponytail, making sure it lies above your shoulder blade on either side. Adorn your hair with cute flower hairpins that you can purchase for under a dollar at Forever 21 or H&M (Southside Works has both of these stores). You’ll look and feel like a part of the summer landscape!
  • Bow-Wow: Bows are all the rage right now. Try some blue and gold combinations if you’re flaunting your Pitt pride, or maybe some black and gold to represent Pittsburgh. There are countless ways to wear bows – headbands with a bow on the top of your head, bows holding up your ponytails, bows on braids, etc. Take a minute to figure out which bow-style fits you the best,  go out and make your mark!
  • The Hipster Bandana: Wrapping a bandana around your hair keeps the waves under control no matter how windy it is outside. It’s also chic and Bohemian, perfect for summer 2014! This look, when paired with soft waves, will make you stand out in a crowd.

How to Style the Hipster Bandana:

1. Before bed, divide your damp hair into six sections and braid them.
  2. In the morning, unravel the braids and lightly comb your fingers through your hair.
  3. Wrap the bandana around your hair, pulling down the edge so that it overlaps on your forehead.
  4. If it feels loose, secure it to the back of your head with bobby pins.

So there you have it, girls! Now that you have the know-how on these cute summer hairstyles, go out and show everyone what summer flair at Pitt really looks like!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3

I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh who loves traveling the world, writing, and college life in general. My majors are Environmental Studies and Biology, but I want to focus on journalism too if possible. I'm super passionate about Model United Nations, of which I am now president (yay!), and the environment. I'm a very happy, enthusiastic person who loves pickles and twizzlers and brightly-colored nailpolish and long dangly earrings, among other things. Her Campus is my favourite website and I'm so excited to be a part of Pitt's campus chapter!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt